pastuerizing

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Tim Pruitt, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

What is the latest gadget for pastuerizing and heat treating colostrum? I have several pastuerizers but am always looking for a better method.

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I use my handy dandy turkey fryers. :)

Sara

3. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Ok Sara,
    Describe it for me... where do you get it.... What brand is it?

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Masterbuilt 28 quart electric Turkey Fryer.

I have several units, most of which I purchased at our local farm store for about $75. I think some on here found them locally as well or even on eBay.

They work like a Weck (water bath), only they cost a lot less and are readily available.

Sara

5. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

OK - so what do you use to put inside them to hold the milk - since it is a water bath?

6. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

You can usually buy them at Wal-mart. Most of the time they are located around the garden section, where they have the smokers and such. If your local store doesn't have one, you can also buy them on Walmart.com and they will ship it to your nearest store for free where you can pick it up or they will ship it to your house for a shipping fee. I just used a large pot inside mine before I got my pastuerizer.

Tamera

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Our Wal-Mart only carries the smaller unit (22 quart) so make sure you get the right size. The small unit doesn't hold enough milk.

I just pour the milk into a SS stock pot.

Sara

8. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Good point Sara, never thought to add that. Mine is the 28qt, I didn't realize they sold another size also.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Tamera

9. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

I found mine on Craig's list- never used, in the box $25

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Turkey fryer here too. and is wonderful. SS pot inside. Electric had the propane before but you want elec. Brookshires grocery had them on sale in OCT I got mine off Craigs list last year.

11. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I envy all you guys with your great finds on Craigs List... ours stinks!

Yeah, the 22 quart isn't as well made either. The 28 quart is the way to go. I have 4 or 5 of the darn things in use when baby season is in full swing! :)

Sara

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

get the one with the drain mine doesn't have it and would be very nice.

13. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

microdairy designs pasteurizer. FABULOUS...can do anywhere from 2-22 gallons and it will serve as a bulk tank cooler or yogurt incubator as well.

pictured here...http://www.swedefarm.com/goat-dairy-houston.html

A bit spendy, though...cost more than most of my (albeit bought used) cars.

14. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Tim also check out Academy. I found a stainless pot that fits into my canner perfectly that is nonstick, from Wallmart, tall and narrow, easy peasy clean up. Vicki

15. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Will a regular pot from a Safeguard pasteurizer work, or is it too tall? I have 5 of them. (smile)
    Les

16. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

It will be too tall to be able to fit the lid of the turkey fryer on. I prefer to use the lid as it seems as though the milk gets cooked faster and I am able to stick a thermometer into the milk by inserting it through one of the holes on the lid of the fryer.

Sara

17. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Drat, I was hoping they would work.
    There is a hole in the lid with the cooker to put a thermometer in? That would be great as I check each batch.
    What type of thermometer to you all use?
    Les

18. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Yep. I swear they were made for pastuerizing milk! :)

I just use an analog steel probe style thermometer that I picked up at Wal-Mart or the like.

Sara

19. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I do the same except my thermometer is digital and has an alarm when the milk hits 165. Vicki

20. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

So how accurate is it for heat treating GM? Do I have to stand over it every second like I do with it on the stove? Tammy