Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good pasteurizer? We would prefer one that could also be used for canning vegetables or making cheese.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Well the electric turkey fryers that Vicki and Sara recommended and I got one now are wonderful don't think you could can in them but yes you could do cheese and many many other things.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you post a link to the one you are describing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't have a link, but I use a "Charm Glow" electric Turkey Frier. I purchased mine from Home depot. It closely resembles a Weck.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I use a Weck. Got it from somewhere.. years ago. I wouldn't have any other. It's a canner.. and I use it for just about everything. Those big old milkers fit in it perfect. I even had a stainless milk pail made special. I can pasteurize up to 5 gallons of milk at a time.

Kaimaira sells them but they are out of stock.
http://khimairafarm.com/weck.htm

Might do a check and find one somewhere else.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wow-- I had never actually seen the turkey fryer before. That things is fabulous.

We bought a hoegger tabletop, used, when we first started. Now we have a 22 gallon bad boy that costs as much as a used honda civic.

I wonder if we could get the turkey fryer approved as a yogurt maker. ??

·
Registered
829 Posts
I am wayyyy too cheap <g> I've been trying to justify buying myself one of the electric cookers -- but I end up doing 8 gallons at a time.

I have an old propane double burner tabletop cooker that I use stainless steel or enamel stock pots on. They nestle inside each other like a double boiler, so I actually have 4 pans on at one time. It was cheap and it works just fine.

Tracy

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
And what do you use to cool that much milk down afterwards?

We just use a stock pot here nested inside another. THen it goes in the sink to cool. My dd spends many hours pasteurizing milk.

Can you all comment on your method? We bring our milk in, weigh, pour into quart size jars and put in the freezer to cool. Transfer to fridge before it freezes. THen we pull what we want to past. dump into pot, pasteurize, cool, pour into clean jars into fridge. Then at feeding time we pour into individual bottles and feed. We dirty way too many jars. *I* think we should past. as soon as it comes in, cool, and then pour right into feeding bottles. Skips two sets of jars getting dirty that then need washing. But this is dd's method and since she's doing the work I let her do it her way. LOL I think lambars would be less mess too.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Bring milk in strain and pasturize in morning sits on cabinet and cools and goes into lambar all durning the day at room temp the night milk is pasturized and put in frig. NOW milk I sell is raw non pasturized and it is strained cooled down with ice water bath and in frig or freezer right away.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Oh wow. So you just set it on the counter to use all day? That sounds so much easier than what we do. I'm going to have to talk with dd about this. It's not even March yet and I want my kitchen back. LOL It will get much better once the kids are gone but we've got several months to go before kidding is over.

·
Registered
283 Posts
So Tracy, it doesn't sour in the heat of the summer?? I always worried about that.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
No and goats milk doesn't sour really but I add kefir so doesn't matter to sit out at all and my excess milk is made into kefir for the next day.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Bumping this up. My daughter has two Alpines freshening in April. The gal she worked for last summer has offered to buy her a pasteurizer from Hoegger or Caprine Supply in thanks for taking care of her goats. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
16,497 Posts
Since this post....I am back to heat treating pasteurising on the stove in a double boiler, for me it's eaiser....and new for 2012, with CAE negative tests dating back over 12 years, I am done with all of it :)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Too funny this came back again -- and I found a Weck on eBay cheap a few years ago :)

I need to make the change to feeding unpasteurized. My husband asks me every year - WHEN??!! Maybe one more test and I will do it.....I've never had a positive animal in the 11+ years we have tested, LOL!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts