Passing placenta ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Jan 17, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Remind me please what time range is acceptable?

My does normally pass theirs in 1-3 hrs.... It has been about 6hrs now and it is hanging.

It was a rough birth for the doe. MM and kid #1 was 7lbs and nicely STUCK. He is doing fine.

2nd was troublesome too...

She had triplets.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I go milk again if the placenta is there at 6 hours, also lots of massage and pulling up, sometimes if the doe is big, just pushing up on the area of the foreudder (the fundus) to help expel it. I give her a dose of CMPK. I also tie up the placenta with hay twine and add some weight to it, so it isn't dragging the ground.

All the above and 1/2 cc IM of oxytocin if at 12 hours she is still hanging but I also go in cleanly and see if perhaps there is a problem. Since fixing our copper issues we rarely have anything like this happen and it is always being pinched into place by a mummy kid or some such thing I missed. Or simply comes out as my hand leaves the uterus. Vicki

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I'm not squeemish, but ok, that was gross! :really

4. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

LOL but.. I had dd go down to see if cervix was still open.. it was closing, she could just gently get fingers in, but placenta passed due to the contact with the cervix...

not grosser than some of what has ended up on my hand... LOL

Thanks ladies!

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Yea, I know. But darn, I only had one cup of coffee in my when I read that!.. :rofl