Passing on weak pasterns?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Thermopkt, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I have a buck with bad pasterns. I got him this last fall at two years old. His feet had never been taken care of at all. I know, I know, why buy a buck with bad feet? Bucks, all goats, are rather far and few between here and, while I have a line on a nice (I hope) Ober buckling in the spring, I need a buck now and he does the job. Anyway, back to the subject, with the lack of treatment do you think his bad feet are from that or more possibly genetic? I would love to keep one or two bucklings out of him (if I get any :crazy) for pack wethers. I need a couple of new ones. Would their feet be likely to hold up with proper care. They would also get more excercise than this guy did.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Long pasterns can cause weakness in the pastern faster especially in obese goats (nubians ;). And of course there are breeds that simply don't have as nice as feet as most nubians do. But in my experience most bad feet problems are owner related. Long in the toe, just plain not trimming the feet often enough...even an appraiser was out here with a group of new people, and 4H kids telling them to not trim the feet of their junior does! Sorry when you don't live in humid Texas you should not give others information like that! But on a whole most poor feet I have seen at shows go across breed lines when a poor manager has several breeds. A real key are those who are at shows with hoof trimmers in hand!!! YIKES!

So, I also wouldn't take too much stock in especially a bucks feet, I would soo critically look at his kids though, and you likely wouldn't have to wait for them to be older to quickly spot poor feet and legs on the kids. Vicki

3. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I think poor management and poor nutrition can be major causes of poor feet, especially weak pasterns. Here in Idaho, it can typically be due to selenium and copper levels. I have seen animals here vastly improve on their pasterns with increased copper in their diets (but we are VERY deficient).

BUT, there are animals that genetically have poor feet, and no trimming, or suppliments will fix them. I am VERY critical of poor feet, ESPECIALLY in bucks. The feet are your animals foundation.

I would watch his kids VERY closely...

JMO... Ken in Idaho