Part Time Job and Goats

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Cotton Eyed Does, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

O.K. First time since we brought Josh home when he was a baby I have taken on a part time job. I work from 9 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Mon-Fri. at the school. My baby goats were getting a 16 ounce bottle of milk morning, noon and night. Now they are not going to get their lunch time bottle. What is the best way to handle this? Just give them more milk morning and night. Is that going to work? Everyone was SOO hungry this evening. Poor babies. My babies were born 2-14, 2-23 and 2-24. Oh and I have the boer doeling that was born Jan. 9th. also. I have the 3 that was born on 2-14 in the pen with the boer doeling. The buckling is sold and is leaving Saturday. Then I have 2 bucklings that are nursing Cambrell, Then I have Sydney's 2 little doelings that are in the itty baby pen. They aren't big enough to hold their own with the bigger kids yet. Tell me how you would handle this so these babies are getting plenty to eat. I keep meat goat pellets and hay in their pen, but of course they are a little young for that... the boer doeling is just now starting to nibble on them so she can teach the other ones how.

2. Truly

Truly New Member

I'd like to know too as I'm looking at getting a part time job to help support my goat habit. :crazy

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

are they on the lambar?? if so I would fill it and add kefir then the milk won't spoil and they can have free choice milk now , plus it isn't too hot out either. This is what I am going to do this year as I think them being able to drink all the time will be better more like being on mom. supply and demand.

4. Cotton Eyed Does

I dont' have keifer. Those keifer grains were just something else I had to tend to every day so I didn't keep up with it. DH didn't like it and neither did I. I was thinking Tracy said she lets them drink from the lambar in the morning and evening as much as they want until they walk away.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

With the weather like it is just fill it and leave it for them to drink from while your gone it won't spoil.

stir in a pint of active culture yogurt if your worried abt spoilage.

6. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

I don't work.. well.. not away from home. It's hard for me to even get those babies bottles.. or even a lambar. What I did last year and what I will do again, (doing now actually) is a 24 hour lambar. I put out milk.. ( I use an oblong bucket hung on the outside of the fence) and place frozen milk in half gallon containers in the winter and when it heats up here in the south.. I use gallon container. The frozen milk keeps the milk cold and the babes don't drink as much at one time cause it's cold. I've not had one to overdrink, and I think that is due to it being cold. They seem to be happy little buggers.. and there's no crying when I go up to thier pen.. which makes me happy.
    When I feed up and milk in the evenings.. I pour the melted milk out into the bucket and add a fresh frozen jug.
    It's unbelievable how growthy and healthy they are. Granted I they drink more milk than if I bottle feed.. but I think that's a good thing.
    After they are a couple of months old.. and are starting to eat well, I pull the lambar and only give it to them twice a day.

Rett

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Rett that is exactly what I want to do this year but will use kefir in my milk also as believe it is so healthy for them I fed mine at least 1/2 kefir last year

8. Nancy

Nancy New Member

The way we do it because I work full time and my dd is in school.I give a bottle about 7:30-8am then dd gives one about 4 when she gets home. they get their last bottle between 10-11 at night. When they go to 2x a day then it's about 7:30 am and 7:30 pm.

9. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

I don't really have a answer for you...I work part time also (well....right now I have been at 35+ hours because a gal got hurt so I have been having to work some 6 day weeks also). But right now my parents have been stepping in and helping me a ton with the goats otherwise I couldn't do it. I wouldn't be able to do the middle feeding as right now I have been working normally 11am-7:30pm and I get home around 7:50-8:00pm. So my mom helps with the middle feeding (she has her own kids in with mine also).

Hope you figure something out!

Justine - who can hardly wait to go to feeding twice a day!

10. goatmom

goatmom New Member

We use the same kind of schedule as Nancy -with me full time and ds in school but usually start the first few days every 6 hrs which means I come home mid-day, feed and go back to work. I'm wondering if 4x a day is really neccessary with normal size kids???

I mean I'll do whatever I have to for these goats but the extra 50 mi round trips for feeding combined with the already extra trips coming home to check on goats who 'might' be in labor that day are really going to add up in gas next month.

I'm always relieved to go to twice a day - my grumpy level goes down!!!!

11. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I think I feed the same way as Tracy. My older kids get fed at 3:30am. all they will drink, then again at 3:30pm. Once they walk away, they are done.

12. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

That is exactly what I do -- they get all they want 2x a day AND they are on that schedule by a week old.

I don't fuss around with this 3-4x a day feeding stuff. They keep a sharper appetite and they grow up just as well. I just weight taped a homebred 2 yr old doe at 195# last week! I don't need them any bigger than that! ;-)

Tracy

13. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

That's good to know...I also work and have been racing home on my lunch hour to feed the little munchkins their third bottle. Feeding twice daily all they can eat would work much better.

14. Cotton Eyed Does

I'll get all of them on a lambar in the same pen hopefully in a few days and will feed all they can eat morning and evening. That will have to be the solution for me on the days that I am not here.

Thanks. :biggrin

15. MBKTown

MBKTown New Member

You all have given me hope! I am considering a bottle baby right now and have been quite concerned over the feeding schedule.

16. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

That's what I've been doing....eatting in the car is getting old! I may try the all you can eat twice a day

17. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Chris, I wouldn't change them around -- IMO, if you go to feeding 2x a day, then keep them on that from now on -- don't add in another feeding on your days off.

Tracy

18. Cotton Eyed Does

OK You twisted my arm... :biggrin Sounds good to me. Now if I can just get the 2 goof balls to learn to put their mouth on the nipple and suck instead of pressing their nose against the bucket and pushing and just standing there pressing their nose against it. :sigh

19. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

My kids do the exact same thing....except it's when I'm bottle-feeding...I'll have two on the bottle and two more pushing on the sides of the bottle, not to mention three jumping on my back!! Really need to get a lambar system going.... :sigh

20. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Same here! I know it's highly amusing for my neighbors :).....I have a Lambar, but when I attempted it, of course only the one I was holding his mouth on it got anything...the rest were busy jumping on me, trying to rip my clothing off, trying to bump the one kid who was attached off & trying to tip over the lambar