Parasite Reference Book Suggestions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stoneyheightsfarm, Aug 28, 2008.

1. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

In 101, there's an article by Sue Reith entitled Worms: Misdirected Hysteria where she mentions that Veterinary Clinical Parasitology book 5th Ed., 1978, by Sloss and Kemp is the best book to have for identifying parasites in goats. Since that article was written, have there been any other good parasite reference books to come out? It appears as though Amazon has a few copies of this edition (some far more reasonable than others, so don't go out and buy up all these before I get a chance!), but I also saw a Veterinary Parasitology Reference Manual that looks appealing. Opinions?? Thanks!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

You know Billie I use pictures and what is written here on this site for free am just not one to spend money for something like a book when I just spent $85 on 50lb of minerals and a 50 ml bottle of ivormec plus IMO when I have extra money to spend on a book it will be Goat Medicine. not one on parasites.

3. stoneyheightsfarm

I'll look @ Goat Medicine, too. My hubby is a book junkie, so Amazon is a monthly line item in our budget. :)

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Although in goatkeeping 101 since she wrote it, I had never read it thoroughly. I didn't know until this month that there was a better book than the Foeyrt book :) I also would love to see this book she recommends but alas it is not up at the University! Vicki

5. stoneyheightsfarm

What is the Foeyrt book? The price ranges on Veterinary Clinical Parasitology on Amazon range from $25 to $175 (I think) for the 5th edition (which is supposed to be better than later editions?) The $25 range is more within my budget! If I could get ahold of both and take a look, that would be nice...

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

The 5th is what has the good pictures of the parasites in it the later ones don't.

7. stoneyheightsfarm

Goat Medicine--is that the one by Smith & Sherman, or would I want Sheep & Goat Medicine by Pugh (I know I've seen that name a lot) ? I can't find anything by Foeyrt...? (Updating my wish list :) )

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

think it is Goat medicine by Dr Mary Smith

9. NubianSoaps.com

Veterinary Parasitology Refernce Manual by William J Foreyt. I have no idea what Edition I have it is written nowhere on it.

But Sue says the other book is better, clearer photos and show the real diffrence between HC and liverfluke, so I would really like to see it, if better I will sell my first book. Vicki

10. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Wow, that book has information on worms in cattle, horses, dogs, cats, even llamas!

11. stoneyheightsfarm

Okay, I was spelling the last name wrong in my search, but that was the very book that I mentioned in my 1st post that looked appealing. Google Books has a preview of it, but wouldn't you know, the pages I would like to see are not a part of the preview!

So the Goat Medicine is the Mary Smith & David Sherman book--would it also be beneficial to have the Sheep & Goat Medicine by Pugh? Or would it be unneccessary w/ the other on hand?

12. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

If you want to look over the Dr. Pugh's book, ask Dr. Amy (our local vet) they have a copy in the office and will gladly let you look at it. I spent about 20 minutes pirusing it and thought it looked like a great book to one day own.

13. stoneyheightsfarm

In the Scottsville office or the Franklin office?

14. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I looked at it in the Franklin office.

15. stoneyheightsfarm

Thanks! I haven't been there yet; just the Scottsville one...will have to make the trip!

16. NubianSoaps.com

Start with Goat Medicine, it is my bible. Use all the front and back pages to keep all your most used info together. It's a must have once you relalize you can't believe half you read on the internet and know more than the vets about your goats. Vicki

17. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

My vet asks,"So what page in Goat Medicine do I need to read before you get here?" :rofl
    I really like Goat Medicine better than Sheep and Goat Medicine.

18. stoneyheightsfarm

Ooooh! Yay! What a great preview! I would like to get a copy to hold in my hands, but these pages will probably tide me over for a little bit anyway! :) Thanks for all the wonderful advise!!!

19. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

I found a "new" copy of Goat Medicine by David M. Sherman, Mary C. Smith on the net and ordered it. Anyone that lives close is always welcome to come by for a read. :biggrin

Troy