Pan Am vs WADDL

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I had positive (at panam) for johnes on new goats I bought , my heart sank as I already loved these girls. They have awesome bloodlines. I retested with WADDL and they are neg for johnes!

This herd was tested beofre I bought them for several years and was alway neg so I did not feel right with panam results. I am so glad I retested .

patty

*edited by BlissBerry - title spelling (searchable)

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Patty, what tests are ran at each lab? I use PAVL for my own testing of CAE via blood and colostrum because I get titer levels, I can't get this at WSU.

Now that you have this testing done at WSU call up Dr. Glass and tell him that you now have negative tests. He doesn't read forum to know this, perhaps now he will change his testing medium like he has for other tests?? It's how we got our colostrum testing done. Going around to forums and loosing business for PAVL by not giving all the information is not helping anybody.

At the very least, at least the freakin money we pay to PAVL has given us more information over the years, changes in how tests are done etc...not one peep from WSU since they came out with their CAE test, with thousands of more tests done yearly by them. How about putting some if it into more testing. Vicki

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Adding....testing for Johnnes is not just as simple as one blood test, or it would be one blood test in cattle years ago. You want an AGID test and Elissa test and a fecal test that takes a very long time, or your tests are meaningless. You certainly should not be reassured that they are indeed negative for Johnnes. vicki

4. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I plan on calling him . I am waiting on the cae test results in about 1 hour .

I am just so relieved I was already attached to these girls not to mention the money .

It just seemed not right they were all fat and healthy . And I saw a bunch of the test results from a closed herd . Granted the results were 2-3 years old . I am glad I retested and am also glad I isolate every new animal that comes in. If they had truely been positive I could have exposed my whole herd.

Patty

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Johnnes blood tests are not very reliable. To be certain you need to run both blood tests as Vicki suggested AND the fecal test which takes several weeks.

You can't be sure they are negative with the tests you ran...

Sara

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Yes I know the its not 100 % with the blood test. The fecal ....they usually suggest when your herd has symptoms. There were no symptoms with my purchase or within the herd I purchased from . Mastitis yes .The whole herd was fat and in good health , also had a bunch of older ones.

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

The test is suggested anytime you want a true result. :)

Johnnes is a difficult disease. In goats the symptoms are not nearly as pronounced as in cows. Meaning you can have seemingly 'normal' appearing animals that can be infected. Typical symptoms may not occur for weeks/months. Just ask those who purchased infected stock from a herd sellout a few years ago.

Not trying to scare you, but don't be so certain of the test results. That being said, most do not even test for Johnnes prior to bringing a new goat into the herd.

Sara

8. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I always run cae , cl & johnes . No clue why I started but I did .

Pan am had 2 cae positive also. Wadll everyone is cae neg.

Patty

9. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

Patty, I'm with you from now on. I've had extreme stress for over a week cause of PAVL.

You can see my update on the CL thread.

Congrats Patty

10. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I use to test for Johnes' too. I had one test postive through WADDL years ago, a yearling. If you know how the disease works and the test is run...well, they shouldn't test positive as a yearling already. Unlikely anyway, usually shows up when they are older. I never did retest, now I wish I did because I culled her on the spot. From the herd she came from it wouldn't have surprised me...you know there's something wrong when they've been raising show goats for 30 years but no animal lasts longer in their herd than 5 years.

11. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

I think that these are all excellent examples of using your common sense as well as the tests to determine herd management. In the case of Jenny, the test results didn't make sense. In the case of Beth's, they did.

It is always wise to retest as there is human error in everything - and sometimes animals have funky little things going on that can throw off the tests as well. So sorry you had all of that stress, Jenny. and Congratulations Patty on your negatives.... Expensive to retest the Johnes bit, but you might want the entire peace of mind.

Camille