Palm & Palm Kernel oils from Columbus Foods?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Shadow Woods Nubians, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Shadow Woods Nubians

Shadow Woods Nubians New Member

I'm thinking of branching out from my normal Lard or tallow based soaps and am looking at Palm and P Kernel oils at Columbus Foods. There are so many to choose from! There's regular Palm Kernel, and then you can buy flakes. Theres refined Palm Oil in a pail, and there's homogenized, RBD (refined, bleached, deodorized?), no-stir in a cube. What do you do with a cube? I know, total newbie question, but once you get that 50-lb cube, how do you use it? They sell pump pails, do you have to fill the pail from the cube? Is it better to get the no-stir?
    How about the palm Kernel flakes?
    I guess that's enough questions for now. I will be so grateful if I get any answers, because my head is spinning and I have no clue what to order.
    Thanks,
    Elizabeth

2. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I am no expert but I went with the homogenized Palm because I had heard the other can separate and I didn't want to have to deal with that. I break mine up and store in 5 gallon buckets for the bulk of it. Then I store some in ice cream pails for use as I soap.

My palm kernel is not flakes. It is much harder to break up than the palm. The homog. palm has the look and feel of shortening whereas the kernel is a brittle oil more like cocoa butter.

3. lynpea

lynpea New Member

I have the palm in a bucket and I am thinking of trying the hom. palm. I use PKO (palm kernel oil) so I don't have to use so much coconut oil. The PKO is not as drying as the CO. It also bubbles like CO. I really like my soap with the PKO in it.