Oxyteracycline dose clarification

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shereen, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Shereen

Shereen New Member

I was looking in Goatkeeping 101 for the dose for Oxyteracycline and it says 4.5cc/100# for the first dose and 36 hours later dose 3cc/100#.
    Is there a third dose?
    If so- how much and how often?

Thanks in advance.
    and Happy Happy New Year!!
    Shereen

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I just use the 3cc per 100 but do it every day for 10 days

3. Shereen

Shereen New Member

Hmmmm.
    Well now I'm not sure what to do. She got her first dose 36 hours ago @ 4.5/100#. I'm getting ready to do the next dose @ 3cc/100#.
    Sondra,
    Other than the reason that you dose at 3cc/100# for 10 days because that's what works for you. Why do you use dose like that for 10 days?
    Is it because of the way they metabolize everything faster than other livestock so they need more and more often?
    Did I just answer my own question?
    Shereen

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

the recommendation I have always heard (maybe not even correct) is on most antibiotics it is 7 to 10 days. If you don't give it long enough to completely get rid of the bug then your just going to have to do it again as the problem comes back. So I personally give ten days. and yes on some drugs you load up on the front end usually twice a day the first 24 hrs and then to once a day.
    Vicki or Kaye will better explain the reasoning so if they don't answer on here pm one of them for sure. What are you treating??

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

The skipping doses on Oxytetracycline is the cow dose. With goat's metabalism and to keep it high enough in the blood serum, it needs to be given daily. Also dose I was advised to use was 3cc/100#. As a maintaince dose in abortion storms it can be given once a week until kidding along with feed through granules. Why? I have no idea...and it doesn't make sense to me, so I wouldn't do it. I would keep the feed through doses high enough to avoid having to give the shots.
    Kaye