Overweight FF

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Ok, Toggy is now about 100 days along. She is getting a good belly on her! She is 2 yrs old this spring. She seems overweight to me, has a squishy tail head and hard to feel her ligaments. I've heard of people having problems with fat does at birthing time, especially FF's. She's also a small doe so I'm a bit concerned. It's time I would normally start feeding grain. So far, all she's been eating is grass/clover hay and alfalfa pellets. Also a little BOSS, just a tad.

Is there anything I can do for her? She does get a daily walk, about 1/2 an hour to an hour. Should I delay feeding her grain a little longer? It's amazing how she has changed the last month or so. She used to be so rotton, now she acts much more laid back, and doesn't bite your clothes/fingers/hair all the time.

Ashley

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

How chubby is she? you can tell, right behind the elbow by how much fat you can grab a hold of.. I would still offer her grain, just to get her on the milkstand but just a handful to start out with. If she's really that fat, then I would keep it at a handful until freshening, then slowly work your way up as she progresses in her lactation.
    If she just has a pinch behind her elbow, then start out with a handful and progress slowly to a pound by the time she kids.. she will most likely shed some of this as she's milking.

3. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Well, her elbow area doesn't seem to fat. I was thinking she was chunky since I coudln't feel her ligaments as easily as the other does (except glori), and doesn't seem as defined.

4. I just had a ff kid three days ago. Before she kidded she looked like a beachball on toothpicks.. Just assumed she was having triplets (she wasn't getting much grain, just some oats & top dressed with BOSS... mostly alfalfa pellets & free choice hay...no one else is fat) .... so I was more then a bit shocked when she kidded. First out, a lovely long legged white & lemon blonde doe... then... NOTHING.. I went in, felt everywhere.. nothing... she is just a blimp! I realized I could grab a handful of fat behind her elbow that was almost as big as my own fat roll :crazy :nooo... I'm hoping that between her having to milk (and me milking as fast as I can... so she doesn't get as much grain :lol) she'll loose some of it..also the browse will start growing soon and she'll spend her days walking and munching instead of head deep in the hay feeder... She did have a super easy labor and delivery.. I just can't let her stay this fat.
    susie, mo ozarks