Out of curiosity?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravens Haven, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I have some babies sold 2 does / 1 buck:

My question:

the buck kid is out of Star and Benchmark

one doe kid is out of Star's daughter last year and Benchmark

Can these be bred without 10 legs and 400 eyes?

I know this is really close linebreeding and I think it will be ok but I wanted to check the xperts opinions..

TIA,
    Autumn

2. coso

coso Guest

I think the advice in the past is only do this if you are willing to cull really, really, hard because you will compound faults and weaknesses along with strengths. I don't think you would come up with any two headed goats out of the deal though. Also make sure that what you are breeding two and from is the creme de la creme or you are just defeating your purpose.

3. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Can you breed them yes. Would I sell them to a new person with a small herd or worse this is their only goats, no. Would I sell them to a friend? Yes especially if Benchmark is wonderful and I may want to use that buckling back here at the farm someday. Obvioulsy you liked this breeding well enough to repeat it. But when you do heavy line breeding it comes with repsonsibility, in your herd it's with heavy culling of problem kids, but you don't put this onto new folks who don't understand, and will never cull anything. Read HT, folks keeping parrot mouth and other really bad mouth faults. Cull is spelled KILL not PET. Vicki

5. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Yes I am really excited about these breedings. Thanks fro the advice.

Autumn

6. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

As a newbie I would absolutely LOVE to see pictures of the parents, then pictures of babies resulting from this breeding (or one this close). Maybe someone could point out certain good and bad traits that got amplified to help me understand.