other stock companions for goats ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bella Star, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Due to the loss of Boers this spring to the HC worm, I need a pasture vacuum cleaner and I heard that other cattle running with goats,vacuum the worms up and it doesn't bother the cattle...... What other cattle can I add to the goats to help the possible worm burden again this spring ? I now cringe at every rain we get :/

2. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

I think you are talking about multi-species grazing. The only animal that does not share parasites with the goats are horses and other equines.
    Cattle and sheep still have some parasites in common with goats and HC would infect cattle to some extent.

3. MayLOC

MayLOC New Member

Hmmmm?....I have always understood these livestock animals mentioned to carry species specific worms. will have to check that.

ok....everything I read says that sheep and goats can share some parasites, but sheep/goats do not share the same internal parasites as horses/cattle.

One link of many to read: http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/IPM.html

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Cattle help because they graze the grass down closer thus the worms don't crawl up to what the goats eat on. However have read that you do need to rotate the pastures. Get yourself a microscope and do fecal cks often to know what is working and what isn't.

5. Ashley

Ashley New Member

I also understand that horses and cattle don't share parasites.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

This is an interesting site compiled by several universities:http://www.scsrpc.org/index.htm
    SCSRPC Participants:
    USDA, ARS, Booneville, AR,Fort Valley State Univ, GA,Langston Univ, OK,University of Georgia, Athens, GA,
    Delaware State Univ., CARS,Univ of Georgia,North Carolina State Univ,Louisiana State Univ,Texas A&M Univ,
    Auburn Univ, AL and the list goes on.

Copied from: http://www.scsrpc.org/SCSRPC/Files/Files/Misc/2005 Producer publication revised.pdf
    There are several grazing strategies that can minimize pasture contamination of larvae.
    Mixed species grazing is effective in reducing the population of worms on pasture. An
    example of an effective grazing strategy would be to allow cattle to graze pastures before
    sheep or goats. Mixed species does not include a mix of sheep and goats because they
    are both affected by H. contortus. Grazing resistant breeds of sheep (St. Croix, Barbados
    Blackbelly, Gulf Coast or Florida Natives, mature Katahdin) with susceptible breeds,
    may act to “sweep” pastures and reduce contamination to susceptible animals. Goats
    were evolved to graze browse rather than grass. Larvae cannot reach browse plant
    species and goats can be maintained with a low level of parasites using this management.
    Goats can be extremely susceptible to parasites if grazing only grass pastures. Rotational
    grazing has been used successfully to minimize pasture contamination, but more research
    is needed for southern pastures to make proper recommendations. Overgrazing or
    overstocking can quickly lead to parasite problems by creating large numbers of infective
    larvae on pasture. Avoid overstocking! Try to leave a grazed pasture to rest for as long
    as possible if it has to be grazed again by sheep or goats.
    Kaye

7. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Thanks ! I am thinking I need a horse . Last spring we had oodles of rain for ever it seemed like and we lost healthy fat stock Boers overnight but there were LOTS of Boers lost all over Texas , I am just trying to prepare just in case.I am going to go ahead and get my wormer ready . Our pasture up close to barn is pretty short now and goats are eating hay bales but they can still go down anywhere in the 30 acre pasture but they are lazy . I just keep thinking about the larva that's just sitting in the dirt waiting . grrrr

8. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Now, here's another thing you may want to consider with a horse....I have a very lush bermuda pasture and when I turn a horse out on it, they tear the grass up by the roots. The cow (1 jersey) and goats do not do this. I don't let the horse(s) in on this 3 acres for that reason. You'd think with a full set of teeth they would crop it instead of tearing it out...but it happens. Only time they are allowed on it is just before I bushog it. I HATE to waste that grass by cutting it down, but I don't leave them for more than a couple of days.
    Kaye

9. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

HHmm Kaye, You think a cow would be better than a horse ? I thought a cow gets about the same worms as goats ? Heck, I hate the Bahia grass and I would like a horse to just tare that mess all up and plant bermuda . The lady that I used her N buck for my does works at the vet emergency clinic,she has a barbado sheep and a horse right behind her goat pen and she has NO worm problem,and seldom if ever worms.Her buck had very brite red-pink eyelids and mouth and she lives within 12 mi. of me,she said she didn't do anything special with them or feed. However it was just the FB Boers that I lost and lots of people lost Boers this past spring. I just dont wont to repeat that as I had a black&white doe Boer born yesterday :)

10. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

The HC don't affect a cow in the same way they do goats. Not the extent of death. Heck, some of these old timers around here...very seldom, if ever worm their cattle. LOL...I worm my jersey about twice a year...because she's spoiled and I treat her like a pet. :blush
    Might consider some bottle calves for extra milk, if you have any.

At least if you decide on a horse....they're cheap!! But, resale is the pits. :lol Also be very vigilant about your tetanus with a horse on the place.
    Kaye

11. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Kaye, Do horses or cows get roundworms ? goats ?
    I know the guy doesn't do nothing to his cows and hardly feed them hay as I saw ribs showing from a distance and this year it better not happen as I will report him.The cows graze the grass down to almost dirt and there is baled hay stacked outside his fence ruining :mad ,the hay belongs to somebody else but he could buy some for his cows and he has no excuse :mad ,one cow was down and very dieing ill in the hot summer and suffering from ? right up against our fence and he just dragged her off down in the woods ...ok, back to companion post... I am wondering about heavy fertilizer or heavy fire ant poison for running the worms out of my pasture MONTHS BEFORE letting the goats graze there .