oozey orange liquid

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by homeacremom, Sep 4, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Help me figure out what happened. Twice now I have tried adding buttermilk instead of milk at emulsion. Both times also coloring or swirling with peacock dyes, two different eo's, gelled... Pretty sure my soaping technique is fine- good trace, lye all dissolved etc. I'm getting orange goo on the bottom of the mold and a few spots in the corners and up in to the bottom of the bars. Definitely lye pockets. I know now what zap is on a tongue test!
    I rebatched the first batch. Hate what it did to the soap and would prefer not to do it again. Wondering if I can just trim off the bottoms of these other logs? I unmolded them this morning and now the orange goo is soaking back in leaving orange "stains". I went and dried them off with paper towel a few hours after I unmolded them.

2. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Did you alter your recipe at all and maybe miscalculate your lye? I'm not sure what causes lye pockets....no experience here with that so far.

3. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

It is getting too hot, which is the reason for separation, causing the pockets of lye, try putting in the frig after pouring into molds to slow down the gel.. or if you cover it to get it to gel, stop doing that..buttermilk is higher in fat, equates into hotter temps which cause separation.. This is common in milk soaps, honey soaps etc
    Barbara

4. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

I had a batch of soap do this once and it was one I had put too much lye into.... So now I run everything through the soapcal 2-3 times before I soap just to make sure..... I ended up tossing this batch because no matter how I rebatched it there was no fixing it :(

5. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Thanks, Barbara, that makes sense.
    The recipe is correct. On the first batch I just thought I had somehow mismeasured the lye. Second batch no chance of that and it still separated. Did not know that a really hot gel would make it separate! I have been getting very hot gel so will try leaving it uncovered.

6. I know that when I make herbal bars containing mints and spices they do that too, get too hot. I usually put a fan on them and put the trays on something to where air can circulate under them to help cool them down. It does help keep the ooze down. Theres just some things that no matter it still does that. Mine are mostly all GM bars. I started adding the lye to the frozen gm and it also keeps the ooze down. All because I've been paying attention on here this last Euc/mint batch did not overheat and has a beautiful cream color. Tammy