One week old kids drinking water - is this ok ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Feb 29, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

My Alpine kids ( twins )that were born last Friday and were rejected and now kitchen dwellers being fed by us, have decided they would like water already - i just want to make sure this is safe for them, i'm pretty sure it is, but i just want to ask to be sure.

We have like a big clear glass mixing bowl for our dogs water in the kitchen, we put it up at night and when nobody is around, but this morning the kids decided to drink from it - quite a few times - this is ok right ?

Also, they are eating 8oz of moms milk 4 x per day now ( not at night anymore ) - is this sufficent, or are they drinking water because they need more milk ? Thanks !

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I have Nigi's and the oldest is over 1 wk old and saw them drinking water...I guess when they want it they will drink it...It hasnt hurt mine...I guess they were thirsty or nosey and decided they liked it...I think it goes into a different stomach than the milk also...

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I know I do come at this differently because I am trying to grow out kids I can breed the first year, but if they are drinking water they are not getting enough milk. Mine are offered as much as they want in lambars 4 or times aday at that age, getting ready to go down to 3 times a day. Mine don't even acess to water at that age. Vicki

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I think with Alpines/Nubians or should say full sized goats they probably would be upto 16 to 20 oz 4 times a day. by now. I know my mini's would be taking at least 12 to 16 oz. I use a coke bottle 20 oz and let them drink all they want. 4 times a day. But I don't have water out for mine either and they don't go outside until 3 or 4 wks old.

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

When should you start offering water? :shrug

-Kim

6. Rose

Rose New Member

We have our first dam raised doelings, and they started drinking water at about a week, too. They are three weeks old now, and they look like they are getting plenty of milk!

7. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

We start offering ours warm water after their milk at about a week to ten days of age. We will start offering them creep feed at about 2 weeks of age and we feel they need to be having water when they are consuming dry feed. We do not push tons of milk to our kids, probably topping it out at 16 oz 4x a day, then getting creep and alfalfa hay. Many judges comment on our big growthy kids and this is what works around here.
    Tim

8. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Our kids are drinking water at around a week, too. Cudding at around 10 days. Anything mum and the big goats do, the little ones are prettiy quickly trying to do, too.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

When mine finally go outside to thier own pen, then water is also available to them and feed and hay but that isn't something I offer in the house. And mine aren't ever with the moms or older goats.

10. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

All this water sipping should remind us that it is soooooo important to keep our water buckets or whatever very clean and with fresh water in them.
    I dam raise these Nd's, and it is not unusual at all to see them sipping ( not gulping ) water at a week old.....they will also start nibbling on bits of hay and stuff at a week old. Since milk is available to mine around the clock, it doesn't worry me a bit.......for mine, I think it is a lot of couriosity at this age more than anything.

I do think like Vicki though if I were bottle feeding......seeing them doing much more than just tasting stuff, would give me a hint that they may not be getting enough to eat from a bottle.

Whim

11. goatkid

goatkid New Member

When we have bottle babies in the house, we do not put water in their crate. When they are allowed out for some excercise, they have access to the dogs' and cat's water bowl, but really don't show much interest in it. Our little kids are offered as much goat milk as they will drink, and this probably accounts for it. We do keep a bucket of water in the outdoor kid pen and the dam raised babies have access to water, but usually don't drink much until they are eating hay pretty good. Kathie

12. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

They don't gulp it, they just sip it, for 5-10 seconds or so every once in a while. i wanted to make sure that it wasn't harmful to them, as well as make sure they are getting enough to eat, and buy the sounds of your posts i need to feed them more. My bottles (human baby bottles that are vented so they don't "compress" are are easy for the kids to feed from ) are only 8 oz. bottles - does anybody know where i can get bigger ones that will let air in so the kids can get the milk out ? I've tried actually goat bottles from Caprine supply and my feed store and they are junk - you have to take the bottle away every few seconds to vent the nipple - not very fun.

They are only twins, so a lamb bar type thing isn't worth buying, but i've considered buying the stuff to make my own out of a smaller bucket - where can i get this stuff and is it hard to do - how much would it cost for 2 nipple set up ?

Another thing is, after 8 oz the doeling is pretty much done, and the buckling's ( and doeling's ) bellies are huge and full feeling - i didn't think they could eat much more at a time. I'm not sure how much they eat at a sitting off of mom, but didn't think it would be 8 oz. - though is is more often. But i just didn't want to over feed them at one time, and i don't want to make a bigger bottle then what they will eat an have to waste the milk as i don't have a bunch to waste.

But i want these kids to thrive and grow big and strong - so please, tell me what i should do :+)

Also, they have been living in my 70 degree kitchen, but we want to get them outside as soon as possible - how can we go about doing this - i'd really like an action plan from somebody please - it's still cold outside here - looks like the next week will be 20-25 above duing the day, and single digits to about 10 below at night. I have a small kidding stall in the garage that i can put a heat lamp in, and then i have a pen next to the does but seperate with a small two-doe size shelter in it.

I was thinking about puting them in the garage with the heat lamp the first 24 hours, then off at day time,on at night for like three days, then totally off for like 2 more days, then outside they go - will this be too hard on them ? are they too little ? I also have kid coats. And what if we get another super cold snap ( we have been getting snaps of 30 -50 below ) ? I heard once that temp changes like bringing them in and out of the house and stuff can make them very sick, so somebody please give me some advise/action plan on moving them outside as well. Thanks !

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

with my house babies I don't even attempt outside until 3 wks old but the garage and heat lamp would be ok so they can cuddle up under it if they want and not if they don't need it. sure would have it on at night tho with your temps. I don't put coats on as then need to get their under coat growth for warmth. Of course if your temps warm up everything chgs.
    I use coke bottles with the lambar nipple or even the lamb nipples from the feed store which I hate. I fill it and let them drink their fill at a setting. If you want to keep using your 8 oz bottles which I did for years , I used playtex bottles so I didn't have to wash:) but would just refill it and let them drink till they quit.

14. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I have kids that were born last week also. They are downing (easily, I might add) 22oz twice a day. They will go check out the water when the older doeling goes to it, but they just shake their heads like "yuk!"
    My doeling from 1/26 is drinking water and also eating hay, alfalfa pellets, grain and other stuff.. but she also gets her two bottles twice a day and she's huge..
    I use 20 cola bottles with Hoeggers 2B pop bottle nipples.. they work great!!