One Day Test (Milking Competition) & DHIR

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Can some one explain those two? I have looked on the ADGA site but its so confusing. How costly are they? How do you get involved?

Thankyou!

2. Leo

Leo New Member

On the one day test you can either haul your goats to a show having the competition or have it at your farm(much easier), it involves three milkouts, one the night before, and two more 12hrs apart. The cost ranges from $5/doe at a show or to host it at your farm I think it's $25 plus what your tester charges for time/travel(and lab, if the lab you use charges for this, ours does not).

DHIR I'm assuming you mean those like OS/40 and what not involves you to milk your does out everyday like you normally do and have a verification test(proof you weren't lying about your milking no.) before 75 days fresh. The VT depending on which plan you choose but here I'm talking OS 40 can be done either as a one day test or a tester can come to your farm and test your does. Cost starts at $40 herd registration fee, $1.30per milk sample at our lab, I'm going off memory, so I would recheck the numbers though.
    Hope I helped. :D
    Megan

3. Thanks! :) You were very helpful.

How would I find a tester or a show for the milking competition? I looked on the adga site under Up Coming Competitions, there weren't any Indiana.

Thanks again! :D

4. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

I got a friend to do the tester training & she does my milk test once a month for me, while i test for someone else. Langston has a video class & a test that you can take to get certified as a tester- it's not very hard at all. I really enjoy getting the numbers back on DHI test every month. It's not as hard as I initially thought it'd be

5. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

If Indiana has a dairy goat club...that's a good way to find out about shows and such. Michigan has MDGS which holds a show every year, GLOM which holds one, and also LEGS which holds one. Plus whatever fairs are sanctioned.

6. I have my show packet, but from the ones I looked at (The ones I plan to go to) they dont have any milking competitions listed...

7. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Your best bet would be to call a DHIR lab and ask who is qualified to do testing in your area. I am sure they would help find someone local.

8. Leo

Leo New Member

For me the easiest route after wasting 2 months trying to find a tester through our dairy goat club was to force a friend to be my tester :biggrin, You just watch a tape on the procedure, fill out the quiz and send it in, then they let you know if you need to retake the test or if you pass and you get your tester #. Super easy. :D
    Megan