Once a Day Milkings?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Goat Town, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Goat Town

Goat Town Member

For those who do once a day milkings what are your criteria for beginning them? Traditionally I've done it later in the lactation, say after 200 days, but I'm considering starting now after say 130 days. Honestly production has been dropping all month, sales are a little flat, I'm nearly out of storage space, and it's hot, hot hot. Did I mention it's hot?

2. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I went to once a day milking after our show on June 2nd. Just took their Alfalfa away for a couple of days. They were pretty full and miserable for a day or two, then just got with the routine. Didn't cut production very much at all and they are still coming in FULL of milk.

3. swgoats

swgoats New Member

I'm keeping babies on all mine and not separating. The best producers give me something in addition to feeding the babies. I get more with twice a day, but I get plenty for our use with once a day, and am still fertilizing with extra milk and feeding chickens with it. With my second set who were all first fresheners, I started once a day right away. The Nubian doe I did have to do twice a day for a couple weeks until the mini babies started taking more. Not really the same as once a day milking without kids on though. I just can't keep up without my relief milkers.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I will milk out evenings half way for a few days, then 1/4 empty for a few days....they get no grain when I am doing this, only alfalfa pellets in their milkstand grain bowl. Then I stop night milkings. Do not stop morning milkings, it is simply way to hot for them to walk around with an udder full of milk from night to night. Vicki

5. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

My criteria is how much do you give in Am/Pm milkings and udder capacity. And I second Vicki on the morning milking. I only have one I do this with, until later in the year and the alpines slow way down...much later in the year.
    Tam

6. Goat Town

Goat Town Member

None of my milkers comes in with a tight udder, so they're not reaching capacity overnight. When I cut a milking it'll be the night milking. It's too hot for goat or human out there anyways so I'd like to cut the night milking. It'll save on feed too.

7. tlcnubians

tlcnubians New Member

Once our does begin producing less than 4 lbs of milk per day (2 lbs per milking), I move them to once a day milkings. This usually happens after they've been in milk for 200+ days though . . .

8. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

I only go to once/day milkings when I'm almost ready to dry them off. Makes me feel better. :lol

9. Goat Town

Goat Town Member

I had planned on beginning once a day milkings on Sunday July 1, but that plan was moved ahead Saturday night due to a power outage. The transformer that serves our property went out a milk time Saturday night. No power means no water. While I could have hooked up the generator to power my vacuum pump to milk and then drug it to the well so I could clean, I just didn't have the heart to do it. The power company had the transformer replaced in about three hours, just in time for the county's fireworks show. The fireworks terrified the herd as it always does and I spent the evening in the barnyard keeping the herd bunched up. This morning I milked and the herd gave me what was June's daily milk total.

10. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

If production slacks, that is the right time, for us it isn't until after breeding in the fall. I am opposite of Vicki & Tammy though, I skip morning milkings so they aren't laying on a full udder all night, possibly getting too full and leaking milk on what may be dirty bedding. Usually they just aren't that full anymore, though.

11. Dorit

Dorit New Member

What are your thoughts on milking half way am and pm and gradually drying off? I don;t like the idea of having a full udder for 12 hours. Dorit

12. fmg

fmg New Member

They need pressure in the udder to tell them to stop producing. You have Nubians, so it might work. Baha, jk. I honestly don't know.

13. lonestrchic23

lonestrchic23 New Member

That's what I do..... Just take less each milking, until I eventually drop the evening milking. I can only get this to work later in lactation with my Alpines though. I tried with my older girl, Ginger, at the end of April.... Got production down some, but when one of my Lamanchas kidded in May, she stole one of the babies & production jumped..... She's tapered off with the heat, but is still averaging 12lbs a day..... I'll try again later, turns out I needed the milk anyways.

I'm drying off a FF Lamancha right now..... Only emptied her 1/2 way each milking for about 2 weeks, then dropped the evening milking for about a week...... Then only milked about 1/2 way in the morning for a few days. I stripped her out 3 days ago when she hopped up on the stand and wasn't tightly uddered up, infused her udder with Tomorrow & haven't milked since. So far, so good and when I check her, her udder isn't so full that it's tight.

14. Dorit

Dorit New Member

Thanks for the detailed info, exactly what I needed to know. About infusing with Tommorow, do you do that routinely at the last milking? Dorit

15. lonestrchic23

lonestrchic23 New Member

This doe came to me with mastitis, so I treated her (infusions & gent), and as a precaution, infused her at last milking to hopefully prevent future issues..... Up until this year, I'd never infused an udder & was kind of intimidated by it (thought it would be difficult, or that it would be uncomfortable & they'd throw a fit)...... But it's super easy & my girl didn't mind one bit, so I bought a box of Tomorrow & plan to infuse everyone at last milking this year.

16. tlcnubians

tlcnubians New Member

We always infuse after our last milking of the lactation. The dry period is the worst time for harboring infection in an udder. Be sure to keep a close eye on them and if you notice an udder filling up when it shouldn't, immediately milk it out to be sure you're not looking at some kind of "hot" mastitis that needs treatment immediately. The 2009 Reserve National Champion Nubian, Kovergirl, died of a hot mastitis that set in during her dry period.

17. smithurmonds

smithurmonds New Member

What is a hot mastitis?

18. tlcnubians

tlcnubians New Member

As opposed to subclinical, one that only causes issues like uneven udders. A "hot" mastitis will kill the goat if it's left untreated, often turning into gangrenous mastitis. In our herd, it was caused by nocardia, which apparently rarely causes mastitis, but when it does it's uncurable. Usually staph aureus is the culprit. I sold a doe to a lady last year who called me a couple of months ago to tell me that she hadn't been able to get the doe to settle and she thought it was because she had let her get overweight, to the point that even her udder was getting "fat." I told her udders very seldom get "fat" during the dry period and she had better milk her out ASAP to be sure it wasn't something more serious. Which it was. Gangrenous mastitis and she ended up losing the doe, unfortunately.

19. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

Keep an eye on young stock & dry yearling udders, too! My Saanen doe got gangrenous mastitis last year as a 7 month old kid & lost 1/2 of her udder. I have a 8 week old LM kid right now with a little precocious udder that we are watching closely.

20. smithurmonds

smithurmonds New Member

That has to be my biggest fear. I'm treating a teat injury at the moment (one of the adult does bit another's teat) and there was so much inflammation I felt certain we were going to lose the battle. We're not totally out of the woods yet but well on our way. My goat vet will be getting another Chik-fil-A gift card in the mail- the man is a lifesaver.