Older doe very sick

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ali923, Nov 9, 2008.

1. ali923

ali923 New Member

I have a doe who is 11 yrs old. Wednesday morning of this week she would not come eat, she was just standing there with her head hung down. I took her temperature and it was 103.2, and it was a cool morning. So, I started her on penecillan, and I gave her cmpk because she would eat and i gave her b-complex and probios and this stuff that is kinda like nutradrench called omega 3 (from jeffers). That evening her temp was 104.2, I gave her everything the same as the morning but penecillan. Thursday morning, temp was 104.6-gave her her 2nd dose of penecillan and all the nutrients as before along with tylenol for the fever and gatorade. I imagined that she wasnt eating or drinking anything becasue i haven't seen her do it. Thursday evening, temp was 105.2-gave same nutrients, water and tylenol for fever. Still acting sick. Fri morning-temp101.7, I did a mini celebration, but she was still acting sick. Friday evening temp was 102.1, but still acting sick. I am still giving her the nutrients and water and penecillan in the mornings. Today was the fifth day of penecillan and she is still not right and yesterday evening temp went back up to 104. I am at a loss. What should I do next?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

You need something stronger than pen. pen isn't very good for this type of thing. Get naxel or nuflor from you vet if you don't have a vet you really need to get one but in the mean time go to tetracycline drug like LA200 but get the off brand if you can as it doesn't sting. We need to know how much the goat weighs so you get correct doseage. you also and this if very important need banamine also an RX item from your vet tylenol does nothing for the goat. IMO

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Allison you really weren't doing much of anything, it's why people loose goats, you have to have a pretty clear idea of what you are trying to treat.

Is she drinking water? Is she dehydrated so it's why her fever is high? Is she ruminanting? Is she not eating because her teeth need to be addressed?

For fever I use banamine. All the stuff you are putting into her mouth is actually doing the opposite of what you think, it is not nutrition in any form to keep her alive, it is not enough liquid (always do subq lactated ringers) and some tylenol is never going to take down fever and deal with pain. Plus everything you give orally that she is not used to simply harms the bacteria that she has normally in her rumen.

Go through or drug info on goatkeeping 101, use the right drug for the effect you are after. Nothing is going to kill all bacteria, so all it is doing is killing enough so her own immunity will kick in and start working on the bacteria itself. If it's pnemonia, any 200 mg tetracycline is the best, but if you don't also give banamine you likely won't have a good outcome, because pnemonia causes scar tissue in the lung. Is her udder clean and free of lumps? Alot of fever with few symptoms can be mastitis. Pare her feet, are they in good shape? What color are the mucous membranes of her eyes? We have the Famacha list on goatkeeping 101, which is just an anemia chart. Does she need to be wormed? Does she have cocci?

Learning to triage is super helpful, going down the list and really looking over what is wrong with the doe, so you can use the symptoms you have to figure out what to treat and how to treat it. And if you don't have improvement after 48 hours than your treament isn't working, usually because you are treating a bacteria when it's really viral.

So give us better information. Vicki

4. ali923

ali923 New Member

She weighs 160, she is ruminating, she peed and pooped today in front of me ball poop (but strained/pushed some of the poop out-it was balls clumped together), one thing I forgot to tell you was that, I think thursday, her breath smelt like fish and still kinda does, and her eyes started watering that day and I checked them and they were bloodshot-i put terramycin in them and they stopped watering, but they are still bloodshot but not as bad. I have banamine, so I did give that to her tonight after I read this. I just want you guys to know I was doing what I thought was right, what I have always done for sick goats, and they always got better. I thought I could get this figured out by myself because I have always been able to do it in the past. Oh, she was just wormed in september and her eyelids, before the bloodshot look, are pink. No sign of being wormy or cocci (no diarrhea as you can see from my comments about her poop), I have had cocci problems before, and this did not begin like cocci. Im pretty sure it is bacterial or viral. What are the signs of pnemonia? As far as the mastitis, she did not settle last year (one of my goats that I have issues getting to settle from another post) and there is nothing unusal in her udder. What are you talking about "pare her feet", what should I be looking for? Also, what is lactated ringers, and do I have to get it from a vet? Tomorrow, I will get (naxel, nuflor, and/or tetracylclene) and lactated ringers-do they all have a good shelf life so that in case any of my other does get this same thing I will have it for a while? Are they all good to have, or just get them as needed. I think I remembered everything, I really appreciate you both responding, I should have asked sooner.
    Thanks allison

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

everything except tetracylclene is Vet RX Naxel has the least shell life but is awsome in treating stuff like this. I would get a fecal test done also since you will be going in to the vet.

6. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I order my Lactated ringers fr Hoeggers...I dont know if Jeffers has them yet. The site is www.hoeggergoatsupply.com and they arent expensive either. Somtimes you can get them from a vet also. I keep at least 3 bags on hand at all times. Well worth the money, and they come with the needles also and some syringes I think.
    Kathy

7. ali923

ali923 New Member

So tetracyclene would be the best recomendation for her? What do the lactated ringers do?

8. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

lactated ringers are IV bags--they're for quick re-hydration. You can order them or get them from a vet.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

You know, I guess it all depends on how valuable this doe is to you. personally at this point I am inclined to say you need a vet. Check her teeth , check fecals , listing to her lungs and get the proper drugs needed to help her.

10. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

:yeahthat

Do you want to save her? Is she a valuable part of your breeding program? Call your vet to get a stronger and more effective antibiotic. Make SURE you are also giving this doe Banamine (vet RX) and lactated ringers to get and keep her hydrated. Run a fecal. Check her teeth.

These are the just a few of the things that you need to have on hand at all times in the event this happens again.

Sara

11. ali923

ali923 New Member

What am I looking for when I check her teeth, and what about the whole "pare her feet" thing vicki said to do, what am I looking for there? I am giving her banamine, but do I give it to her once or twice a day, and how many days can I give it to her in a row? Honostly, she is an older doe who has not settled in two years and we have several babies out of her. I am not going to take her to the vet, but I do want to do what I can to help her and make her comfortable. If she gets better in the mean time-great. I am going to be realistic though, and spending a couple hundred on a vet bill for a goat who may or may not survive this and who may not even last several years longer is not realistic to me. I am sure you guys would agree. But, I can't just do nothing, I have to do what is the right and do what I can, and leave her life in God's hands.

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

trimming and checking her feet for any and all possible problems between the toes at and above the corneal (sp?) band etc etc etc.

If her teeth are not aligned properly or over grown she can chew properly.

Start her on the tetracyline and keep it up for 10 days all the while giving BComplex/Probios. and Banamine daily until the temp remaines down.
    Make sure your give correct dosage.

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

But if she isn't eating and drinking properly now and it doesn't chg in a day or two then for me personally it would be putting her down

14. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

:yeahthat

Sorry.

If you are not going to call a vet and there is no change in her condition, then put her out of her misery.

JMO,
    Sara

15. ali923

ali923 New Member

I did call a vet and spoke with him (I just said I am not going to take her to the vet). There are some new things going on now-gave her banamine last night and saw her poop and pee normally and her temp was 100.3. This morning her temp is 99.7-not good. However, she was up where as last night she didn't want to get up and a little wobbly when I tried to get her up. Her eyes aren't as blood shot and she drank water right in front of me. Now you guys say to start her on tetracyclene or put her down if no change. Is this change just because she is not in pain cause of the banamine? Also, last night her poop was normal and now she has diarhea-is that b/c her rumen isn't working properly? So I told the vet everything that I have told ya'll and he said that it sounds like it started out as pneumonia and that now because she wasn't eating it sounds like acidosis. He said to wait on the banamine to see if her temp goes back up and if it does to start her on the tetracyclene. That is just about the total opposite that ya'll said.

16. ali923

ali923 New Member

Oh, I meant her eyes are less blood shot

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

He is probably right at this point if her rumen is shutting down there isn't too much you can do except maybe steal a cud from someone else to jump start her again
    keep her warm with a heated area or sweat shirt on her. get that temp back up to normal

18. ali923

ali923 New Member

Okay ladies...I have the wildest update. Went out to milk about 5:15 and checked on her, she was not in the part of her stall that was under the barn. She was standing out in the rain GRAZING!!! OMG, :) I could not believe it. I called her inside so she'd get out of the rain. I also found a huge pile of cow pattie consistency diarhea with a smidgen of blood in it. I know your thinking cocci, but it didn't smell like it. Also, she ate some hay and ate some slippery elm and a vitamin c out of my hand and was licking the water that was dripping off the barn from the rain. So, I never gave her the tetracyclene but I did give her probios. My husband and I think that she was very constipated/clogged up, which would cause the fever and the lack of (from toxins in her body from being back up), and could also explain the blood-her intestines getting so irritated and explain why she wouldn't want to eat. Because I can't imagin a huge pile of poop coming from a goat that hasn't eaten very well since tuesday. I hadn't seen her poop since I gave her the banamine lasst night and then she did it right in front of me and then I gave her more this morning and all the rest came out. So we guessed that the banamine helped her relax enought to let it out. Is that a very far fetched idea or does it make sense to you guys. I was just so shocked that she was sooooooooo much better all of a sudden. What do ya'll think? Crazy!

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I would want to know WHY she got stopped up if that is indeed the case.

20. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Maybe She ate some Plastic!