Okay to breed?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stoneyheightsfarm, Sep 15, 2008.

1. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Hi Ladies (& Gents),

I have a doeling who was born Feb 25th. According to the weight tape, she's 97 pounds. It seems awfully soon for her to be that big, but what do I know?! :) She's huge and has become the herd queen, so probably takes more than her share of the grain! (I feed over 2 pounds of grain/day per animal and all the alfalfa hay they want.) Her sister is showing up at about 10 pounds less than her on the tape, but given that she has had a little cocci (not much, but my big girl consistantly has none or next to none), and isn't such a hog in the feeder, and looks a tad slimmer, that's probably close...?

So, should I consider this girl (97 pounder) okay to breed, or should I wait a little longer? (Provided that my buckling--born 5/19--is ready!) Should I haul her to the vet and make her stand on their scale to be sure? (I will be going this week anyway) I just discovered that I'm a "brood doe" myself (due end of May) and want to insure that any kiddings are completed before mine! :) The sooner, the better. If I can't breed them to kid before May, I'm thinking I'd hold off until next year... what do y'all think?

Also, I have yet to do any blood testing... I want to do CAE, CL, Brucella, Johne's, and G6S, but given the most recent vet bills and whatnot, that will probably have to wait until mid-October... Or 2 months after breeding...?

Thanks for your advise & suggestions!!!

Billie

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

3. stoneyheightsfarm

Okay! Yay! ...even tho she's not quite 7 months old yet?

4. I've got two 4-4-08 girls out there, one is 90 and the other is 92, oh Yeah I'm breeding them so they don't get too fat that they can't get bred next year.

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Personally I would wait, especially if she is a Nubian and you are very new to goats. Certain lines mature at different rates and since they can bow their legs by freshening too young and/or carrying too many kids I would wait.

It also wouldn't hurt to check her weight on a scale if you have one available to you.

JMO,
    Sara

6. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I would..but thats me. It sounds to me like you have a good reason to want her bred. But you do have a couple of months before May due dates.

7. stoneyheightsfarm

She is a Nubian, and I am very new to goats. :) As in, my first goats came home the first of June 2008 new. I intend to run fecals up on my boys tomorrow to the vet, and I could put her in the van and have her weighed on the big scale while there. So, if I should wait until a certain age to avoid bowing legs, then what age? At what point do I concern myself that she'll get too fat? Of course, all this may be moot if my buckling isn't ready...

8. stoneyheightsfarm

Mishael, you would breed? Or wait?

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

It isn't a certain age, weight, etc. It's a difference in bloodlines.

I don't work with the bloodlines many of you do so it's up to you if you want to breed her or not.

To each their own. Why don't you ask the breeder you purchased your doe from? That is, if she isn't a newbie herself/himself. ;) I wouldn't take advice from someone who hasn't had goats for very long, or hasn't freshened many does in their own herd.

Sara

10. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Your does Dam, and Granddam kidded as yearlings and as big boned as these does are they tend to do fine. With this line I would worry about them getting too fleshy if you don't breed them.

JMO,

Paula

11. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

We never breed before the doe is 7 months old, no matter how big she is. Some I tend to wait until 9 months to breed, especially if they are from very heavy milking lines or look to be exceptionally big goats (lots of growing still going on). Experienced breeders just told me 7 months minimum, so we went with that, and so far that is working for us.

If she is bred in October, she'll kid in March.... still plenty of time before baby comes. Of course you will still be bottle feeding, but hopefully just twice a day by then.

Camille
    P.S. Congratulations on the upcoming little one!

12. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I would still take her and put her on the scale. I have always wondered if those dang weight tapes really do weigh what they read. I have several LM does that were born 2/24-2/25 all of them weigh anywhere from 90-100lbs so the tapes says.

But I do what Sara does different lines can take it and then some can't. So I just work with the lines but I do NOT breed before 7 months old.

Autumn

13. stoneyheightsfarm

Thanks, y'all! I appreciate everyone's advise!

I had been thinking that 7 months sounded early, but it sounds like it would be a good idea to breed her and her sister at some point this season if they're ready, even if I wait a month or two. I'll probably take her up and weigh her tomorrow. I suppose that if the kiddings and my *kidding* ;) take place a little too closely together, I'll enlist a little extra help around here! Given the time of year (off school) I should be able to get more help! (My sil just informed me that my neice has already booked her calendar to spend May & June helping me out w/my animals, kiddos, home, & new baby! Can you beat that?!)

ps, Camille--Thanks! We're all pretty excited around here! :)

14. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Thanks for chiming in Paula. From your response I assume you are the breeder? For some reason I was thinking you were very new into goats... Hmmmm, perhaps I am confused. Anyway, glad to hear it's working for you to breed that young. I would never breed at 7 months of age, but then again I don't breed for 'big boned' goats. Our goats are large framed animals yet very dairy. I just don't like the heavy boned (big boned) Nubians.

Congrats on your upcoming little one Billie!

Sara

15. stoneyheightsfarm

Thanks, Sara!

Yes, Paula is the breeder. She owns the dam, and Kathy Jones (Slate Woods Farm in KY) owns the grand-dam. The sire of my girls is a Lakeshore Farms buck, so my girls might be a bit more "dairy"??? (I think I know what y'all mean by that term! :) )

I'm not so comfy w/7 months, but if I weigh her now and she really is 97 pounds or so, would 8 months be too early in general?

All this and the buckling to whom I want to breed her is young, and I don't know if he'll be "functional" so all this is speculation at this point!

16. stoneyheightsfarm

Wow, when I put 3 ?s, I didn't know it would give me a frowny face!

17. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I actually don't bred that young, that young being 7 months. I bred the Dam at 9 months old and 95 lbs. (The onlly yearlings I have ever bred as my other girls were just not mature enough) She kidded with two healthy 7lb doelings and I was thrilled with her appraisal scores this year and she has done great in the showring, one leg earned this season. They are big boned but still very dairy. Yes, I am new but had Lots and still have Lots of hand holding from the breeders I purchased from and of course all of you. Billie, I am sure Kathy would gladly give you her opinion as she has had 4 generations of this line.

Paula

18. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Billie, I would not worry about the dairyness of your girls, the Dam, Grandam and Great Granddam all appraised E in Dairy Character.

I hope I did the quote thing right as I have never tried that before....<VBG>

Paula

19. stoneyheightsfarm

Thanks, Paula. Too bad you couldn't take out that frowny face of mine! :)

So... question still is, would 8 months be okay? Better to wait until 9? (That would put kids around my due date, & I don't think I want to do that!) Or... wait until 10 months? (Will I be up to a kidding then?)