Okay, How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Leo, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Leo

Leo New Member

My DH has to work late on occasion, or leave town for business.

So last night DH said he's going to try to come home for breakfast but he and our friend really need to get this project working. Anyway, he watches baby so I can milk in peace. So before when he worked late I would hold baby as I milked with one hand. Now baby is walking(he just turned 1yr), and as I was milking last night he started to eat their alfalfa pellets, grain, sticking his head inbetween my doe's legs, trying to put feed in the milking pail, or hand feeding the does(which was nice), climbing the milking stand or me.

I give him toys to play with outside, but he gets bored,and it takes me about 15min. to milk everyone out. So those of you with toddlers, How do you do it? How do you milk, keep baby entertained and out of trouble? :D
    Megan

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Get a play pen he can't climb out of.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Put him in a kidding pen? or maybe use one of those body harnesses?(make your own) just stuff off the top of my head, as I've never had one of those two legged type kids :biggrin

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I have always had children out with me. Right now a nearly 3 year old. I simply used an old playpen at that age. It was too dangerous for him to be all over the place while I milked with the machine. The does could knock him over on accident running to an from their grain on the milkstand. So it was a barn toy, something he didn't get to play with in the house, usually some cars, I would also take his breakfast out in rubbermaid for him to have snacks. But biggy was Jace (Shyanne, Alex, Dante, Kobe, :) just simply all knew, granny has to milk and feed the babies. Now older Jace gets to play out in the baby yard which has Little Tykes toys in it for the goatlings and himself. During the summer I get a wading pool for him to play in right out the milkroom door and wall, which is chainlink. Vicki

5. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Well, if you cant get up before hubby, then you need to set up a safe area for the baby. Or use a stroller or playpen.

With three little ones, I'm usually milking before hubby gets up. I remember with my first we used a stroller for awhile, then she had a little chair and pretty soon she could play around while I milked, but I always kept her in my site. You have to be flexible, maybe milk and have a strainer and can to dump the milk in, when you get up to check the child, then go back to milking. Don't take on more milking chres than you need to at this stage.

This makes it more difficult, but it can be done. Safety first, so make sure the enviroment is safe for the child. I remember sombody on our local dairy list had a 4 year old fall into the manure pit and nearly died.

I know another lady who made a stall in her barn a comfortable play room for her littles, while she milked and did am chores.

6. Leo

Leo New Member

Thank you, There were alot of great ideas. I like the play pen idea/special stall with special toys for him in the barn, that should work really well, esp. the stall. I really like the breakfast in rubbermaid idea too, he loves to snack.
    Thank you,
    Megan

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Do you have one of those big saucers that they sit in and play with all the attached toys and stuff on it or is he too big for it? You can pick those up at a resale shop sometimes really cheap or a used play pen full of fun toys.

8. Leo

Leo New Member

Hi,
    I do have a saucer thingi, but not a play pen. Irregardless, I think the saucer, food and the stall will work well for him. I just have to move the chicks out to their new pen DH built the other night and clean the stall up.
    Thanks,
    Megan

9. ChickenMom

ChickenMom New Member

Hey! Thanks for all the good info.
    This fall I will start babysitting my grandson and I was wondering how I was going to milk and do that.

10. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

I have a 19mo. and I use the stroller and he sometimes gets out of that so then I put him in the kidding pen with some toys.
    Deana

11. SandyReuel

SandyReuel New Member

When I was watching my friends young grand kids then 3 and about 10 months I would put the baby in the grain barrel where she could watch the goats and me and she loved it... She would smile and jabber and feed the goats very happily. Just be sure that the barrel is only a bout 2/3 full so he can't full out. The 3 year old had the job of spraying the teats after milking and a special place on the counter to sit while the goats came in and went out.

Sandy

12. Leo

Leo New Member

"I would put the baby in the grain barrel where she could watch the goats and me and she loved it..."

That sounds cute. When baby was smaller I used to carry him in the laundry hamper and he loved it too. Or I'll put him in the wagon with some hay that I'm bringing to the girls/boys and he thinks that's funny.

On the plus side. I did get to try out your tips... and it worked GREAT! I was able to milk both my goats without having to worry about baby as much and he had fun.
    Thanks,
    Megan

13. My nephew loves to ride in the wagon at chore time.