Okay, give me your own surefire way to disbud!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, May 8, 2008.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

We are getting ready to disbud our first kids for this season, and I'd like to know what each of you individually prefer as far as how many seconds, how long to wait between each horn bud, whether you like to roll it around, or roll it down down the front of their head...all those kind of things! I've heard so many different things and had some scur problems last year so I want to do this right! What is the maximum amount of time you can have the iron on them? I've done this for 3 years now and haven't ever really been able to find a method/number of seconds that I liked. Thanks! Kristin

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well don't know if I am right or wrong but have only had a few scurs. I shave the head, then making sure my iron is very hot I hold for 1001 thru 1008 remove the bud carterize the center from bleeding and the do another 8 sec rotating in circles the iron. hopefully by then I have a nice copper ring all the way around. This also depends on how soon I disbud the younger the kid the less time I have to use. I then try and put an ice pack on their head to cool them down and maybe a suck on the bottle all the while the iron is reheating for the next bud. NOPE I don't roll down the front of their head.

3. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Kristin, how does Abe's head look? Are there any scurs showing up? I have a Rhinehart 50 and I hold it over the horn bud for 18 seconds, take a pocket knife and flip that horn bud cap away, then lay the iron sideways and slide it around over the horn bud until it "melts" it flat about another 12 seconds, then I go up over the horn bud again for another 15 seconds. I put a medium amount of pressure on the iron as I am disbudding. As soon as I take the iron off I spray with furall until it quits sizzling. Then I do the other horn bud. Alpines need to be done between 2-5 days old and on the bucklings I do move the iron forward some and burn using the flat side to make sure I get the bud root in front of the actual horn bud itself.

4. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Oh wow, Christine, that seems like a long time! I guess it's really not...I've just done like 12 seconds in the past. Of course I had problems! Abe looks great! He is almost totally flat, and his hair has grown over it so nicely. Do you wait between buds? Someone told us to wait like 10 minutes, but I wouldn't want the iron to be too hot. Kristin

5. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I have a Rhinehart X50 also. It works great for me. I also have Alpines, I usually do about 10 seconds per bud. Twist back and forth the whole time, get a nice copper ring. I have never had scurs on doelings, occasionally will on bucks. I find age is a big thing...5-7 days is ideal. Waiting until they are 2-3 weeks old makes it much harder.

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Just trial and error on these little Alpines. They have such a large horn bud base. I started out trying a shorter time and gradually increased it a few seconds until I found a time that actually worked.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Have you really timed these burns?
    Is your iron set for S for Solder or D for Disbud?
    My iron must be alot hotter than all of yours because there is not way we could disbud for that long.

We burn for 5 seconds, I do not shave heads. Pop the cap. Another 5 seconds tops to get a good copper burn. Now if you don't preheat your iron for 20 mintues before you start, yes I could see getting over 5 seconds. But by the time you are doing number 10, I bet it isn't even 5 seconds! vicki

8. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

I was thinking the same thing Vicki! We have a Rhinehart X30, since we have mini kids.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep way too long or not hot my disbudder is and old used one and is why I run 8 seconds max.

10. Cotton Eyed Does

Nope. My iron is about 2 -3 years old, the one Vicki's DH retrofitted with that larger end. It is on D. It doesn't take this long on the boers. Boers and Nubians aren't as hard to disbud. Alpines are really boogers to get them disbudded to the point you don't have scurs. Or... I could just count faster than ya'll.. :lol

Curious about Ric... How long does he disbud his Alpines and with what iron?

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I have the X-30 and I only leave it on the bud for 8 seconds. 18 sounds like an awful long time to me. Saanens,Obies, & Toggs. All are swiss and so far so good with 8 seconds.
    Kaye

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Curious about Ric... How long does he disbud his Alpines and with what iron?

Ric? Disbud? Ha! :) My husband disbudded for him. then Kenny did this last spring. Vicki