Ok what'd I do wrong? (help)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sheryl, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

I attempted heat treating my precious little "cup" of colostrum from a first freshner did it in a double broiler and I know you heat it to 135 and try to keep it between 135-140 for an hr BUT I ended up turning it into well basically pudding... So what'd I do wrong????

Also what would ya'll do for adema in the udder this lil first freshner has an unpleasantly hard udder. She's one of the does that we've been cussing and discussing rather or not we were going to keep her after she had her kids

:help

2. Melissa

Melissa New Member

well, for the pudding, you need to keep a thermometer in the milk at all times. if it still makes custard? I really don't know what to tell you other than with that small amt of milk it will get hot fast.
    I use heat pads and massages for conjested udders. some on here use some kind of spearmint or peppermint or something oil but I don't really know anything about them... sorry.

-Melissa

3. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

It sounds like you got above 142 on your colostrum.
    Check to be sure your thermometer is accurate. Test boiling water with it or something maybe.

We have a digital thermometer with an alarm. They're no good for cheese (digital thermometers seem to go kaput easily) but great for colostrum. It beeps when you reach a certain temp. I set the beep for 136 - and then start the hour on the timer. It will beep if it falls below 136 again - so you would know you need to add more time. I think you can set a high number, too- so you could pull it out if it got too hot. These thermometers are about $15 or $20 -- but they really give you the peace of mind that you have properly treated it. If you have a CAE positive doe--that would really be important.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

two thermometers one in the water one in the milk. on that tiny amount of colostrum I would heat it to 132 degrees have a good thermos ready with hot water in it dump the water put in the colostrum and leave it for 1 hr. checking the thermos prior to see that it holds temp
    massage massage massage and warm compresses also a little dex can release that congestion in the udder. milking her often every 3 hrs with massage will help.

5. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

well I had one of those dial themometers, and it was way way off :sniffle when I put the dairy themometer in there, it was way too hot. Sooo we had pudding. She gave double the amount this morning, so we are going to try this again. Still congested. I did massage it a little, she went out to pasture with the others, so I will work on massaging her udder when she comes back in. Poor thing, she is so confused.

Next questions since it is obvious I haven't heat treated colostrum in the past....how many days do you do the heat treating before you just pasturize it? Her milk still has a little yellow tinge to it like colostrum, it's just not real thick like my other does give. Her mother did the same thing on her first freshening.

Pasturizing it also kills any potential CAE virus in the milk right?

She kidded last night between 9:30pm and 10:15pm

Thank Sondra and everyone else. I appreciate the info.

Sheryl

6. coso

coso Guest

Put a little of the colostrum/milk in a cup and stick it in the microwave for a little bit. If you get little hard eraser looking things you still need to heat treat if not you can pasturize.
    Yes.

7. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Some does just produce better colostrum then others. Usually the thicker and yellower it is, the better it is for the kids. You can use a colostrumeter if you are worried. They are available for cows and goats. Heat-treating does kill 100% of the CAE virus and 99% of the Johne's bacteria....it is an effective control if you have no does positive for Johne's.

As far as the udder, the edema will go away within a few days as long as you keep milking her. I usually don't rub anything on the udder, just milk it out really well. I know you can use Lasix to help with that in cows, maybe that would work for goats?

8. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Thanks COSO I didn't know that. That helps me a lot. I know I've had does in the past that looked like by 24 hourse the colostrum part was over and some that went on for three days. so never really sure when it stopped being colostrum. I will try that. Thank you.

Well hope this kills the bad viruses. I haven't had my does tested yet.! Darn it I just realized I forgot to squiret the first colostrum in a red top tube!

Sheryl

9. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Do not use Lasix in goats, especially just fresh ones. Lasix will throw the does metabolism for a loop. It depletes potassium and magnesium quickly.

I just started using a styrofoam vaccine cooler. You can do 1/2 gallon at one time. Now, for small amounts...use a stainless steel Alladin thermos. Heat the inside of the thermos with hot water from the tap. Bring your colostrum to 135-140...pour out hot water in thermos, put the colostrum in, seal it, wrap a towel around it and let it sit for 1 hr. After 1 hr. put your thermometer into the thermos and check the temp of the colostrum before you pour it out.
    Kaye

10. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

:eek:ops well I looked at the pavlab.com website, and it says the colostrum withing the first 24 hours. whew! That was close.

And the second batch I was able to regulate better. Maybe I'll get the hang of this. !

Sheryl

11. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Well, since I don't have any drugs to give her to help with the edema, I will just massage it, and watch it. I'm thinking by tomorrow or the next day it should be softer. Pretty udder. I hope it is not meaty. I like them to go flat when they are empty.

I guess I'll have to get me a thermos. I know there is a pasturizer out there I've read about it before, that pasturizes, plus has a setting for heat treating. Does no one use those? Just curious.

Thanks for all the info.

Sheryl

12. Truly

Truly New Member

Sheryl, I use a pasteurizer that does both. I got mine from Hoegger's.

I love it.

For regular pasteurization, it buzzes when it reaches the right temp.

For colostrum, it doesn't buzz but maintains the lower temp until you unplug it. So I usually let it go 90 minutes to guarantee it maintained the right temp for an hour.

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

after this save up your colostrum /freeze it and then heat treat bigger batches at a time. The electric turkey fryer is a wonderful thing for either.

14. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

:rofl Sondra, evidently not from this doe. I've had ff that gave way lots more than this. If this is all she's gonna do, then it's gonna be easy who to get rid of this year. she is the first goat my gd ever saw, that we brought in the house as a baby when she was born. My gd couldn't talk much and said "oh my bebe" so that's her name. I'm gonna give her time to see if this congestion clears. But right now it's the only colostrum I have for these two babies soooo. I am getting better at regulating the temp in a double boiler, but it is a pita!

but thank you I'll save some from my better older milkers when they kid.

so you can freeze it first, then thaw it and heat treat?

Thanks for everyone's ideas and info, it is greatly appreciated.

sheryl

15. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I do know in the original testings of our positive and negative does...mostly positive :) milk did not test positive for CAE like colostrum did. Knee fluid yes, and we never got a result back from amniotic fluid. I would love to know this one, but alas the specimin I had was from bursting a bubble and catching it before delivering the kid and it must have washed something else from the vagina into it. Vicki