Ok, we finally banded the buck, pics

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Finally put the bands on. We go to town once a week (walmart is 20 miles away and diesel is high!). Week before last I totally forgot. Dad went last week and wasn't sure they were the right thing, so he didn't get them at all lol. But finally he picked them up for me yesterday.

We had a very difficult time trying to get the bands down on the horns! I'm not sure if they are down far enough. Can y'all take a look and let me know? If they aren't, we will have to get the little castrator thing to hold it open so I can put it lower I guess. Even my dad couldn't roll them down by hand any further than about 1/2 from the base of the horn. He's a logger, has very strong hands, couldn't do it! So he got a screwdriver and put that through it and used that to pull the band down. It doesn't seem like it can go much lower in the back, just not room, with the way his head is shaped.

What do y'all think? If they aren't good enough, I will just remove them and wait for and elastrator. Buck isn't real happy about it. Poor guy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

They appear to be on his skin below the horn base - right ? If so they look good to me, i banded my doe's scurs this same way and one was so funny shaped i could not get it to the skin (it was still on the horn about an 1/8 inch up from where i wanted it ), and it worked just as well - no signs of any horns, even after a year now. I of course put it under the base of the horn on the skin if i could though.Good luck !

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I was expecting to see something other than horns... :rofl

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Make sure your goats that you banded are current on their Cd/T shot. They look good to me.

5. Janelle

Janelle New Member

Me too! LOL

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I used a rat tail rasp to make a groove all the way around the base of the horn...not in the skin, but in the horn as low as I could go. Then pushed the rubberband into this groove. I sprayed it with fural and replaced the rubberband each weekend. vicki

7. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Yeah me too and I wondered why the photo?

8. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

Whenever we've banded horns we've used 2-4 bands initially and then added bands about once a week.
    It has worked well for us when we've used that procedure.

Trisha

9. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Thanks, glad to hear it looks ok. :D They are below the base in the front anyway.

Soooooo, when do they shut up? :nooo

10. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

You really do need to put more than one band on each horn, especially with horns of that diameter. Looks like one of the bands has a "picked" place on it, probably from the screwdriver - that band will probably break easily. It's best to file a groove like Vicki mentioned, and use the elastrator insrument to put them on with. They usually don't cry and carry on after a couple of hours or so, until the feeling has gone out of it. But they will be touchy about the horns until they fall off.

11. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

:laughcry I was looking for something else also .... other than horns !! :rofl

yep,get those bands low on the horn base .

12. Ashley

Ashley New Member

lol, sorry to disappoint..

I guess I need to tell him he was supposed to quit hollering after a couple hours. :blush Feel kinda bad for him, but I think he's worn himself out now, he's not so bad. More bands huh? Will have to get an elastrator.

13. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

we did a two-three year old last year.....she was a rescue, so we are not sure......... she had BIG nasty horns,,,,,,,, within 12 weeks, both fell off, and she is GREAT! We also have another doe, banded at the same time, who has lost one horn... the other is still intact after almost one year! ugh. It DOES work, tho.........we are just patiently waitig for this gal's horn to fall of........hopefully soon........

14. Ashley

Ashley New Member

He is not even a year yet, so hopefully his won't take to long to fall off. A year? wow

15. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

He looks pretty good to me. I just finished doing this on 4 doelings who had a big "whoops!" on disbudding-they had big scurs, horns really. The bands were on there for 3-4 weeks and the horns fell off great. We held ours on with duct tape. The girls heads look great now!

16. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Lol, I was wondering the same, why pictures of castrating a buck?? :rofl

17. Nancy

Nancy New Member

duct tape will hold it in place. By the way some never shut up. We had one that was very unhappy until the horn came off. Very tender headed and wouldn't let us near her.

18. mpete

mpete New Member

should the goat be separated from others when you've banded them? I've been considering doing my 2 does.

19. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Nancy, that would be terrible if he hollered the whole time! He is doing much better today, acting like his normal self.

mpete, my buck is in with a doe and just fine. She's in there for weaning, yea, she's 14 months old. She was weaned for a couple months, then suddenly started nursing again! Taking all my milk!

20. Katarina

Katarina New Member

I dont recall how long it took our guy to stop bellowing.

But his head looked GREAT when we were done...but it wasnt the banding that was responsible for that. Banding cut a great groove but he never lost his horn so we ended up going to TX A&M for surgical dehorning.

THAT worked wonderful!