OK to breed Nigerian does now for September kids?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by birdiegirl, Apr 11, 2008.

1. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

I am sorry if this is a silly question.....
    I have mostly Lamanchas, so I am used to breeding in the fall for winter/spring kids.

I have 2 open Nigerian does- one never settled with the others this fall, and the other aborted her quads 6 weeks early (possibly my fault, I may have stressed her by trimming her hooves and she was quite bad)

Can I breed them now for September kids? It would be nice to have milk when the others are being dried off.

Donna

2. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

I don't know why you couldn't. I know of lots of breeders who kid out their does year round.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep if they are healthy and good condition I would certainly worm and BoSe which should done 30 days prior to breeding on the does and the buck.

4. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

Thanks, I will give them BoSe and worm them, then plan to breed next month.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

also a good time for a CD/T booster

6. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

lysignin if you do it too...

I am breeding half my girls in June for Nov kids...

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin Really , the only drawbacks that I could see.....is that your doe's will have a long hot summer to be preggy in, and thinking it will still be pretty warm when they kid. I guess the beauty would be, that it would be cooling off a bit soon afterwards. You would also be carrying preggy doe's through an active part of worm season......so worm problems due to pregnancy stress or post kidding stress, may present more of a problem for you to deal with.

When I got ND's....I was more concerned about how well they would handle cold weather (being of African origin), but found at least here, that they prefer the colder temps of winter. It was those hot days of late summer here that seemed to make these little goats the most miserable.

Just -a -thinking a bit more........you would be milking through weather that would be turning cooler, and most likely those gal's appetite would be increasing along about then.......I'm wondering how much of the extra feed would go to putting on winter fat/body heat, and how much more would be converted to milk. I'm thinking that you could actually be milking through a prime milk production period. Maybe some of these old pro's would comment on this possibility, because this would be theory thinking on my end.

Whim

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Just keep in mind that ND are year round breeders so this really shouldn't be a problem at all now I have tried to breed my Mini's for fall kids so I could have milk year around and it didn't work with them none of them got bred before Sept anyway. So my year around with the ND influence didn't help.