OK, pasture and a. pellet feeding

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Good Goats, May 31, 2008.

1. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Okay, I know I have asked this a few times, just out of curiosity. But now that we are moving, we will, Lord willing, be moving to Northeastern Oklahoma.
    There is lots of trees and grass there. How would you all suggest we feed? Right now I am thinking that it would be easiest and most cost effective, to feed everyone pasture of course, and milkers alfalfa pellets and grain. Would bucks, yearlings and dry does to fine just on pasture without any grain or alfalfa pellets? For kids, I am thinking grain and alfalfa pellets.

Any ideas? Remember, we are going from dry-lot alfalfa hay feeding to green tree and grass pastures, so any and all info would be greatly appreciated!!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You of course will take alfalfa with you to move them from drylotting to pasture.

Secondly remember that those pastures will quickly contain all the worms and cocci you never have had to deal with before, other than in your goat. I would put my does on a womring program of cydectin 2 times 10 days apart and then Ivermectin plus orally as they leave your farm and get in the trailer. I would also vaccinate them now for pasturella pnemonia and moving in this heat think about profilactically giving tetracycline to them so that they are getting shots 3, 4 and 5 in their new home. I would not let them out on the pasture but maybe 1/2 an hour the first week each day, moving slowly to more and more or the fresh green is going to give them the poops. Although they may not eat them slowly move them to alfalfa pellets and half and half the alfalfa hay with local coastal hay.

A change of minerals to something higher in copper is going to be parimount and if you have not yet you may want to copper bolus as you reach there.

Go slowly, with all the grain, hay and pellet moves.

My bucks are getting a meat goat pellet right now with some alfalfa pellets, but are this weekend being moved into the big woods pen, so they will then just have alfalfa pellets each day, they all have their weight back on from rut. I do grain feed my dry does, alfalfa hay until they are eating well and weaning, and a small alfalfa pellet free choice. Minerals, grass hay, water and alfalfa pellets are the main stay of the whole herds diet, is in each pen, grain is the thing I tweak to more, some or none, never their alfalfa. Alfalfa pellets are my goats hay.

What a cool place to move, milksales are legal!!!! Vicki

3. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Yes, of course. Thank you so much for all the info, Vicki :)!!

YEAH! That's what we're saying!