Ok, how worried should i be ???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Jan 25, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Being that i have a does that are bred ( two due fairly soon ) i check them everyday. My Saanen due 1/31 is filling up her udder, but no discharge or puffy behind, looks good.

My alpine doe that is due 2/18 has me worried. She will be a FF 2 year old, she is my biggest bellied goat, at least twins in there.No udder yet. I check her as much as the other one, as Gretta is bred to my wonderful buck i just lost in Dec. and these kids are going to be VERY special. Anyways, at last night's check, i noticed a little bit of what looked like dried blood/bloody discharge - just a tiny bit on her tail where it hits the vulva, and a tiny bit dried on her vulva - not much, just a dried line between the "lips". It was dark, like well, dried blood.

Then at this morning's check, she has a clear discharge, not a lot, just a small string with a piece of straw stuck to it.

I'm kinda freaking out, i would be just crushed if we loose these kids. What should i do ? What should i look for ? Should i get anything to have on hand ( i can get rx tonight as i'm stopping by my vet's to pick up other stuff ) ? Should i not worry at all ?

Thanks again everybody !

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I hate to comment on this because of the sighting of blood. But non smelly clear discharge I don't worry abt as some does will have it a long time in advance and some none until in labor.

3. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, so i wonder what is with the blood ? there was just enough to leave some dried on her tail, and then some on her vulva, then the clear this morning...i'm nervous about the blood too.

I wouldn't have been so worried had it only been the clear this morning.

Thanks !

4. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

I've had does do that, just a tiny bit dried. I've had them string mucus for two weeks. Each time I just kept a watch on them. They usually kid close to their time. Now if it was lots of fresh colord blood I would definitely be worried. As a matter of fact I have a FF that had a tiny bit of dried blood on her "lips" the other day. I have checked her tail ligament and pushed around on her and she just looks at me like "what are you doing you crazy woman" So if she's not showing any signs of stress of discomfort, then I'm not gonna get too worried about it. She's not due til 2/24 or 2/27 something like that.

Sheryl

5. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thank you Sheryl - that really puts my mind at ease. She isn't acting off at all, and is wondering what i keep looking at as well, LOL ! It was just a little bit of dark dried blood, not bright or wet. Then now the clear discharge, with sounds normal. Whew, i sure was worried ! It would be nice if she went on her date ( Feb. 18th) as i have that day off work :+)

6. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

I know. Mine make me crazy. Usually I am really bad about getting the dates written d own when they are due, so it has been a guessing game with me in the past. This year I got the written down. :biggrin And I have a couple of them that wil have this white stringy discharge, and I just know they are going to kid any minute......two or three weeks later they kid. :groan They make me crazy. But I do have that FF that had a little tiny bit of dried blood, but she seems perfectly fine. And I have had that in the past. I have to let my girls out to pasture during the day, cause my fences arent' good so I can't leave them out. When I go to let them out and everybody runs out but one doe...and she stands there in the barn like I wanna, but I'm not moving. That's when I tell dd to get the towels and kidding stuff cause we're having babies today!

But this year will be different.... I have dates! Written down dates! woo hoo. so I'll finally get to see how far off my girls kid from their actual due dates. Only problem is I have several due on the same date or like three days in a row. Me thinks I'm gonna be busy. :bang

Sheryl

7. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Well my saanen Carmen is in her kidding pen now - i hope she goes soon, i have kid fever :+) I thought i was pretty sure i had the ligaments thing down, but this morning i'm only somewhat sure. I felt for hers, and they seemed lower then normal ??? If i was indeed feeling them they are still tight, but lower, and i can now put my thumb and pointer finger around her tailhead - am i doing this right ? Whats this mean ?

My other doe Gretta ( due 2/18 had me worried due to discharge ) is doing good, but has now shown me a 3rd color of discharge - a pearly white ??? not much, about a 1/4 in. string. I hope she is being normal.

Thanks all !

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Some of my goats get that whitish discharge up to a couple weeks before they kid. Sounds normal to me.

9. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks goatkid :+) My doe from last year never showed any discharge before giving birth - or i just never saw it, and Carmen hasn't shown me any yet either, how many of your goats do or don't ? Thanks !

10. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I have had a friend call me to say her doe had a "bloody" discharge only to have it end up dried mucus and the doe in heat that she thought was bred. But I don't think she was wiping it off and really examining things. So, when you saw the bloody discharge, did you wipe it off with a wipe or wet paper towel so you could closely examine the color? It just seems that what may look "bloody" might just be dried discharge mixed with dirt and oil from the goat. So, now on my daily checks, if I see anything suspicious, I get out a wipe and take care of it. I thought this might help put you more at ease. :)

11. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I can't remember just how many have that discharge. I've had lots of does over the past 7 years. I know at least a couple of my current does do and I've also seen this in my friend's does. She's raised goats for years and says this is normal. The only discharge I'd worry about close to kidding would be either bloody or if it looked like pus or smelled bad. Clearish or opaque white discharge that doesn't smell bad is normal. I also notice in some of my does that get pretty big is that they also have urine under their tails after they lay down.

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Remember that the cervic is sealed shut and when they start to soften their cervic this plug comes loose. If you are watching at the right time you can see this mucus plug. Vicki

13. LMonty

LMonty New Member

and if you have Pyrs in with your does, you may never see anything at all, as they like to help keep them clean. (I have a fairly strong stomach, but for some reason, this one has a fairly high gag factor for me.)