OH..........the Misery!!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Cotton Eyed Does, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I took one of my boer doelings that was born Jan. 9th away from her Mama yesterday. Oh my goodness, you would think she is going to just die. All the crying and blubbering! :/ She has to go cold turkey.

I also moved my Alpine doelings into the regular doeling pen yesterday. I will start decreasing their milk today and in a couple of weeks they will only be getting milk once a day.

Do you think morning is best or evening when you go to once a day lambar feedings and why?

The end of May they will be weaned completely. I am only letting my kids have milk until they are 3 months old this year instead of 4 or 5 months old like I usually do. What are you guys doing?

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I went with cutting the AM feeding on my older kids as #1, mornings are hectic, especially when I've got to get ready for my day job, and it would be one less thing for me to do. #2, I think that they will be hungry enough to eat things that they're supposed to be eating now, like hay, browse etc.. and they can have their comfy warm milk before they go to bed.. :biggrin

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

When I get mine to the 1 a day they get it at night so I get a good nights sleep and no crying outside...Yep I wean cold turkey also and I dont know who raises the most racket the mommas calling for the babies or the babies calling for momma...after about 2 or 3 days they uaually hush after that...

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep when I move to once a day it is night feeding because then they have a full belly to spend the night with and also they eat more feed and hay during the day than at night.

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Thanks. That is what I was planning on doing too. Cutting out the morning lambar, filling feed pans and hay racks and giving their milk at night.

6. I weaned cold turkey with Nica's twin does. Boy what a noisy bunch they were. Nica was screaming in her other pen, and the girls kids were screaming in their pen. They didn't start in until night. They didn't realize Nica was gone for good till then. lol

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I just HAS to be a night doesn't it? :lol