Off Topic

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by KingsCoGoatGuy, Dec 24, 2008.

1. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

Well for some it is. Not for us. :biggrin What is one thing you hope to find under the tree tomorrow for your herd/goats?

Mine is a barn cam. AKA Kidding Cam. :D I only got 8 hours of week for one week this year kidding out does. I hope this will help kill those every hour trips to check them. ;)

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

here's where Jealousy rears it's head.
    Hey I know I want a cam corder barn kidding cam hooked up in the Bus so the kids can watch on the way to from school, the littles ones would Love goat antics. lol!

3. ChristinaF.

ChristinaF. Guest

YES! A barn cam is exactly what I'd want! Our barn is fairly far from the house and it is SO cold here. I have one doe kidding in February when it could easily be -20. Yuck! Who wants to go out to the barn in the middle of the night in that? :crazy Hopefully, it won't be that bad when she decides to deliver.

Christina

4. I wouldn't mind getting a barn cam! Lol.

5. KingsCoGoatGuy

$70 at our local tack shop and $170 at Canadian Tire! Same brand and kit!

6. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

I'm getting a microscope and supplies so that I can do my own fecals. Now that's exciting! ;) It's supposed to arrive today, but we'll see. And what I'd really like, on top of that, is for my girls to have their babies. (Just not while I'm away at church!) But the microscope IS my actual Christmas present from my husband. (I told him that's what I wanted.)

7. shawhee

shawhee Member

I am going to get my milking machine for Christmas! Yea! Might be after Christmas but hey as long as it is here when I need it that is all that matters right?

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

ChristinaF...you need to talk to Sara (Blissberry) to figure out HOW to kid those does out, when you want, on a warm sunny day at your convienence! ;)

My christmas present from husband is a stackable, stainless steel/plastic, show box! On wheels!
    And the one thing that I want (that only the powers that be, can give) is for the Saanen doeling bred AI today~christmas eve~ (to Loughlin's Fox Maker) to actually settle and give me a buck and doe! :biggrin
    Kaye

9. goatkid

goatkid New Member

My goat related Xmas gifts from hubby are a new pair of Sorel pac boots to keep my feet from freezing while doing chores and a LED head lamp for feeding in the dark and checking the does during kidding season. My boss gave me an Angora goat statue with real Angora hair. I also appreciate my non goat related gift cards from my sister - one for Starbucks, the other for Macy's. Kathie

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

LOL...I have a pair of Sorels..I LOVE THEM! Then I have a pair of snowmobile boots~Yeh, go ahead and laugh, but I bought them when I was in Alaska! Those people KNOW about staying warm! Just try to find a boot rated for -80 degrees down here! :really They look at you like you're CRAZY!
    Those sorels are sooo warm and look nice enough to wear to town, too. Unlike the snowmobile boots-UGLY and bulky.

I gave the menfolk in the family caplights for Christmas. They're only reply...COOL and why didn't you give us these BEFORE deer hunting season? I'd be totally lost without my cap light, as we are generally feeding after dark. Both hands free, and I don't have to hunt for the blasted flashlights!
    Kaye

11. Well I got a carhartt zip up hoodie today! :D I wore it to do chores today. :D

12. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

And, I read this today....looks like I wil have to buy myself something this weekend....I love the cap light idea...duh!! Can't believe I don't already own one.....woohoo...no more juggling flashlights.

Anybody own a cap light they just LOVE?

Paula

13. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

LOL...for those of you hunting one....check out sporting goods in Wal-Mart or any sportings good store. I've paid from $10 to as low as $4.99 for them. I like the one that has 3 LED lights in it the best. The 1 light is ok, but it's not quite as bright as the 3/4/5 light system.

I've even used one to AI with when, one of the grandkids snatched my batteries for the AI light and failed to tell me! :mad
    The also make wonderful lights to work in an AI tank!
    Kaye

14. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Kaye,
    Tell me more about your new show box!!! Mine is worn out and has to be carried, so need more information on what you got.

15. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

It's actually a tool box, but it's just right to use as a show box. It's 3 different size tool boxes that latch together with metal latches, instead of the plastic ones on the one I had. It has a handle to pull by and wheels.
    It came from Attwood's, kind of like a Tractor Supply.
    Kaye

16. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I have one of those tool box/show box, my dh bought it for me 3 years ago for my birthday. LOVE IT!!!

17. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I don't know about the cap light, but one of my horse clients turned me onto a headlamp that is absolutely awesome! I got it at Dick's sporting goods for around $20 last winter. It has three LED lights and a very comfortable stretchable/adjustable head band. It is slim-lined, unlike that bulky monster I bought at Walmart that wasn't bright at all. I can wear it on my head with no hat, or adjust it quickly to fit over the many polar fleece head warming caps and headbands I wear. It works out better in the winter for me than a ball cap because I can't wear a ball cap in this weather, my head would freeze and I would be miserable. But, if I WANTED to wear a ball cap, I could slide my head lamp over the cap easily. I don't know the brand but it says FUEL on the band. I think it's meant for jogging. At least that is what my client used his for. It uses three AAA batteries, and they are rechargable so I just recharge them every few days. Money well spent. Oh, I think I found it in the camping section.
    Anita

18. KingsCoGoatGuy

I did get the cam. :biggrin I was just watching the herd... fight :sniffle I always thought it was the Alpines who turned on the kids. Nope, it was our sweet as sugar, hardly ever fights boer! :really I thought she was better then that, I let it go on for 2 trips around the pen and I had to run out and stop it. Life is so much better when you don't have a clue :rofl I am working on getting sound as you can only get 2 models. This one is color (up to 500 feet, then it changes to black & white.) without sound, but can see in total darkness. I even put it 5 inches away from a light bulb and it tones the brightness done! I love it! :biggrin
    I also got something the buck kids arn't going to like this spring... yup I am going wether crazy this kidding season. And the normal other good stuff... Last pitchfork in town, Storey's book to livestock 193 breeds, another judging book from caprine supply... And lots and lots of gift cards for the feed stores. ;) My family knows me so good. But wait? It was hard enough finding stuff to ask for. If I need something I go buy it, don't wait 10 months for it. :crazy Gotta get started on my list only 364 days to go till next christmas! Just kidding my next Christmas will start Feb 7, 14, 15, 26, When I get some champions born. :)

I do want to see a picture of this show box! I used a cardboard box and after the fourth show the handles went. I need a new one..

19. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

I got my show box at Home Depot....it's a tool box on wheels, that slides open to 3 compartments. The top compatrment is divided & is so nice for all those show collars.

20. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Kaye,
    Do Sorel's make any boot that is good in mud. All the ones I saw have suede or leather. Terribly hard to clean barnyard mud from.
    I have a pair of mudmuck-like waterproof shoe. Mine was made by Lewis & Clark and I got them from Sam's. They were real cheap and I have worm them going on 3 years. I love them, but they are getting thin on the bottom and the neoprene is starting to crack. Does anyone make these besides Muck? They cost so much.
    Les