off shoot of the floppy kid syndrome

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by sunnygrl_ks, Jun 5, 2008.

1. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

on the thread on floppy kid syndrome she said her goat was cudding ( 3 cud transplants) what is this?... I have never heard of a cud transplant.

2. Terry

Terry Member

I believe it's when you take cud from a healthy goat and give it to a sick goat. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Terry

3. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

That is interesting. A little messy too. :lol I never thought of doing that before. Very interesting.

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Messy is the least of your worries. Goats don't just let you take their cud :nooo they want to keep it! Also, those back teeth are SHARP. Last time I had to steal cud I got a deep cut on my finger so be careful.

Christy

5. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

The ones who need also really don't like somebody else's!! Last time I had to do it, I think I ended up wearing more that I got down the sick goat. Getting it was awfully fun as well. I locked that poor thing up in the milk stand and stood there and waited for it to cud. Took a while. Then I jammed a piece of PVC in his mouth and reached in to grab some. And I had to repeat this a couple of times. YUCK!!!

Oh, and it takes a while to get the smell off of you. :)

6. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

:rofl It sounds as if this must really be something that works. I wouldn't think you would go through all of that if it didn't. Wow! The things we do for our goats. :biggrin

7. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

so... besides floppy kid syn. are there other times that you would do a "cud transplant?".... and how successful are these transplants... ( do you need to give anti rejection meds?... joking)

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Anytime a goat is sick a cud transplant can be done. They do the job they are supposed to do.

Sara

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

It can make the difference of waiting a couple of weeks for the bacteria to build back up in the rumen....or for it to start building in 24hrs.
    Anytime you oil a goat, put antibiotics orally, use antibiotics at stronger doses than normal or for longer than the normal time,etc...you mess up the bacteria/flora in the rumen.

Yes, it's dangerous, it's messy but it can mean the difference in life or death. So it's something you better learn how to do.
    Kaye

10. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

so i saw a mention of a pvc pipe up in the earlier posts..... are there some instructions on how to obtain said cud... i would think that they would just swallow it when you go to messing with them.

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

It takes patience...or being really fast when you go into a barn of reclining goats. I have my pvc pipe in my back pocket. Grab the first victim by the throat, so she can't swallow the cud, stick the pvc pipe across the mouth so she can't bite down, and scoop the cud with my fingers. About 10-15 seconds.

Or I have a show doe that everytime she's made to stand in one position for more than a few minutes, she belches a cud. Same scenerio. She's only used in extreme emergencies because I don't want her to break that habit.
    Kaye