odd situation

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Oct 15, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

i have to have most of my goats in one pen right now, due to odd circumstances beyond my control. 3 are/were milkers (drying up 2) and 3 are may babies. problem is the one pair of mom/kid went right back to nursing. argh! i really hoped this wouldn't happen. the doe gives very little anyhow, so i consider just drying up and sticking her in the other pen i do have for dry girls. the reason i'd like these all together is to grain the babies a little. the dry girls only get hay and it'd be near impossible to keep one on grain there. the doe does try to walk away from her baby, but i seen tonight she'd been sucked dry. (not saying much tho., she has so little) i am trying white athletic tape tonight, but any other ideas????

2. cindy

cindy Member

Hi Chewie,

I have a doe that weaned her kid, and when she freshened this year, her LAST YEAR's kid started nursing again. In fact, this doe ingored this years kid to pay attention to last years kid. It is really funny to see a milking yearling nurse off her momma! I thought she was re-weaned, however, tonight she was nursing again. I have had good luck with the paper tape. It prevents the kids from nursing and is easier on the teats. The athletic tape may pull skin off. You can go to any drug store and get the paper tape. Ask at the pharmacy if you can't find it. Good Luck!
    Cindy

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

When I want to wean a kid, the only way it seems to work around here is to keep them in seperate pens. If I don't need the milk, I've let the dams wean them. Now, here's something a little strange. I weaned Arwen's buckling when he was three months old because I needed to remove him from the doe pen. Tonite I bred him to Diamond. After he bred her, he tried to nurse from her. It looked rather strange to see a large 6 month old macho buckling doing that. Of course, Diamond wanted no part of him nursing. Kathie

4. chewie

chewie New Member

i'll get some paper tape, she has stopped trying to push the doeling away. the alth. tape worked, but katie was not fond of it being removed! poor girl.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

It's called 3-M paper tape. When you put it on, hold the taped teat in the palm of your hand for a few seconds to "set" the tape with the heat of your hand. It's not nearly as hard on the teats as other tapes...and I FREAK out when I see does taped with Duct tape! Just put some on a spot of your skin and leave it for 12 hrs. then jerk it off- PAIN!!!!!!
    Kaye

6. chewie

chewie New Member

thanks much!! have to go to town today anyhow, will find some. my hubby said something about duct tape and i freaked on him, dont' even think it!!!!

7. You ought to be able to find paper tape at a pharmacy. It is used a lot for bandaging for people with tape allergies. (it still bothers me but less than plastic or silk tape) Silk tape might work ok for teat tape, but I use paper tape if I need to. I usually can't get it to stay on. I don't need to tape anymore though, since all my babies are bottle raised on pasterized milk. I have one doe who has raised her kids in the past, but once she gets into the milking routine she rejects her kids. I don't have the kids in with my milkers anyway. Another doe hasn't ever even so much as gotten to lick her babies. I think she'd freak out if a baby tried to nurse, but that mothering instinct is so strong right at birth that I better be there, just to be sure the kids don't get licked and suck.

8. chewie

chewie New Member

ok, she's been t-p'ed in paper tape! we'll see what morning brings. they've been apart for 2 months, and this situation isnt' what i wanted, but must deal with. if interested, here's why...

we 'rent' our current house, after managing the whole ranch for over 9 years. one day a realtor was in the yard, informed me it was for sale. *what?!!* oh yeah. so now they've rented out most of the pastures to these real idiots, who keep messing with my goats and horses. tossing them all together, chasing them around, and even turning the horses loose!?? i am doing a seasonal job right now, and not always home to remedy their stupidity. so we moved our critters to another shed (which is alot better for me and them anyhow) but it means it'd be best to put them together. in a better world, i'll have pens for all, and not have to do this, but as it is, until our own house is ready (on our own property 30 miles away), this will have to do.