Oberhasli questions?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Amanda Lee, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

Tell me about Oberhasli's (as a rule of thumb) milk production, temperment, and anything else this newbie might need to know about the breed.
    thanks

2. wardarden

wardarden New Member

Hi Amanda,

I can help you here! Oberhasli are a wonderful breed of dairy goat. They are a medium size and have wonderful, inquisitive personalities. They are very sweet and QUIET. (My favorite point) Oberhasli are a standardized color breed, with warm reddish brown accented with black. I hear lots of people say "They look like deer!" Black does are registerable but black bucks are not. On milk production they are average. My 2 y.o. first freshener gives 6-8 lbs of milk per day (milking twice per day). The milk is very good. The only drawback that I can think of with Oberhasli is that if you don't have a breeder close to you, you may be limited on buck/breeding options.

Hope this helps! OH, here is the link to the Oberhasli Breeders web page for more information.
    http://oberhasli.net/

Best wishes,

Arden Ward
    Trinity Rose Oberhasli
    Murfreesboro, TN

3. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

Arden, This helps me so much. The milk I have been buying is from Nubian and Oberhasli. :blush2 I had only seen the Nubian's up close and personal :D
    The milk seller's Nubian are just sweet hearts!
    I was not familiar with this breed and had to look it up. I also wanted a breeder's opinion.

Thanks!!

4. I've seen lovely Ober's at show and I mean they are lovely. If I didn't raise Nubians exclusively I'd want some. Beautiful animals. Now that I think about it, they were some of the quietest ones in the barn too.

5. chewie

chewie New Member

i am new to goats, and only have one ober, well 2 now including her baby, but she is very quiet and docile. she is dainty and sweet, her milk is very good. i do not know what exactly she should be able to produce, she is only a FF, so i'll have better info on that next summer.

my biggest problem is that there are no other breeders near, and the one i bought her from turned out to be a very poor after-sale person, so now getting her bred ober. will be difficult. this year i'll just breed her nub., as that is what i have.