Nutrena CTC feed? Other?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Feral Nature, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

We buy from a Nutrena feedstore and I want to buy a feed containing CTC or Chloratetracycline for my goats. It should contain AC also if possible. I have done a few searches on the net but am having difficulty figuring out what I need. If Nutrena does not have it, what about Purina or whatever? Can someone recommend a brand? Please be specific so I can write it down and give it to my hubby to take with him to town tomorrow. Thanks.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

They have tetracycline crumbles that you add to your feed.

3. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I was under the impression that they also made a medicated calf feed that could be fed instead of having to add the crumbles. But if I did get the crumbles, how do you medicate a whole pen of goats with them?

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

haven't a clue think you top dress there feed but I have never had to use it.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

ok everything I have found so far is
    Aureomycin Crumbles as a feed additive top dressed daily comes in 2% and 4% chlorotetracycline
    the 2 is used generally for sheep and the 4 for calves.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You use the calf dosage.

Feed dealers have books they order from. Just because they do not carry a medicated calf starter does not mean they can not get it for you, they would have to look it up in their book. I know the calf feed we used was called baby beef and Purina made it, but that was back in the 90's. Vicki

7. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Diane,
    Almost all dealers that feed any amount of cattle will carry a CTC 4g crumble. They don't often mix it into a complete or supplement as it is usually fed at the start of the cattle feeding program and they wouldn't floor stock it because of shelf life. But the CTC 4g is easy to find. We top dress it at 1/4 oz per head per day and feed 4-6 weeks prior to kidding. Actually we do mix it somewhat into the daily feed pail instead of top dressing.
    Tim

8. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

Ok, I am getting braver about my ignorance! I just decided that since I am on here to learn and if I dont know what someone is talking about, I am not learning anything. So I decided to ask!!LOL I was just curious to find out the purpose or reason for adding the CTC to your goats feed and what it does??

9. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Patina,
    Glad to see you asking questions. CTC feed is a tetracycling feed additivethat is mainly designed to treat or prevent respiratory sickness in new cattle to the feedlot. As a tetracycline it has a broad range of things it helps to control. There was a study about it preventing abortions in sheep and many vets will prescribe it for abortion control. We like to only feed it for the 4-6 weeks prior to kidding so that we do not get any antibiotic resistance, I do know some that have it mixed into their feed all year round. Years ago when we used to raise sheep we unknowingly brought in a buck that was a Chlamidia carrier and started to have ewes abort that were bred to him. Feeding the crumbles stopped the abortions. Abortions are never something that you want to see and so we are firm believers in feeding the crumbles as to not go through that again.
    Tim

10. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Diane if you can't find the feed with the additive in it already, you can probably get the crumbles at Tractor Supply. I can in Huntsville. I see a bag or 2 sitting there most always.

11. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Re: Nutrena CTC feed? More questions

Ok, I called our feed dealer, a Nutrena store where hubby gets our feed, it's kind of his relative. They said they have medicated calf transition feed with CTC in it, 70gm/ton. That works out to 3.5gms/100lbs...am I thinking right? I told the guy it was for goats, and he said he had another lady buying it for goats. It is $7.75 per 50 lb bag. Not sure how much I need or how long I should feed it. I have 17 goats total. Do I feed this exclusively? Confused here. What about their alfalfa and oats?

Also, I keep up the LA200 for how many days?

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would get the crumbles and mix in with what you are already using not changing their feed. that could spell another whole problem.

13. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I guess i am a little confused about how to dose these goats with crumbles when I pen feed. Bill has lunch at 12 and will go to the feedstore then so i don't know what to tell him, I talked to Vicki in a PM and she had said something about feeding them Purina Baby beef which is similar, i think, to this Nutrena medicated calf starter.

SCREAM! :crazy

14. NubianSoaps.com

I would assume the crumbles will be an alfalfa meal base. So you could feed them per Tim and Mary's advice. When we used the baby beef it was on broker does who we were not bringing in their normal feed anyway...we just slowly started them on this until they were eating 1 pound a day, they were already through their 3 to 5 days of tetracycline subq.

Patina this is exactly what you should do, and hopefully everyone has added Tim and Mary's dosages of this to their goat book they are keeping. Nobody wants to have to use antibiotics, but using them for specific reasons, prevention of abortion storms, stopping abortion storms, you have questionable housing during really awful wet weather for prevention of pneumonia, shipping animals long distance, especially when it is a permanant move. Knowing how to use antibiotics like this is to the benefit of your stocks health, giving one shot or using a nasal spray etc...is to the detriment. Vicki

15. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Ok, so i will try to get the crumbles today and keep up the LA200 shots.

Still a bit confused on mixing the crumbles into the food, sorry. I am having pretty intense back pain today and am distracted by it.

16. NubianSoaps.com

I would PM or call Tim and Mary. Vicki

17. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Tim and Mary are great people Diane. They won't mind a bit if you contacted them.

Sara

18. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

Diane,
    I bought Aeromycin (Sp?) crumbles. I plan to mix it in with the daily ration of feed I put out for everyone. This means I won't be able to garantee that each does gets her full amount, but considering how fast they scarf down their small ration of grain they should come close.
    I considered just having it mixed in with the feed when it is mixed, but the feed goes to our heifers as well and I would rather mix the exact amount each day instead.
    I'm pretty sure the mill mixes it in for some of the other producers in this area. They didn't have a full 50 pound bag, only part and it was like 6 pounds they owed me which makes me think they do add it to some feed mixes.

19. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I called Nutrena back, no CTC crumbles.

Called the other feedstore, only Aeromycin crumbles.

I don't have long distance phone, can't call Tim and Mary.

Bill leaves for lunch in a few minutes and don't know what to tell him unless we wait for tomorrow. he is waiting right now for me to call.

20. NubianSoaps.com

Aeromycin

That is tetracycline, it should say so on the tag, ask them what the active ingredient is. Vicki