Nubians loudness

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo~*, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Just wondering if after weaning are Nubian's still LOUD all the time or if it calms down a bit? I know that the Nubian is more of a "talker" than other goats as a rule but will it get a Little bit better after weaning? Just wondering before the neighborers start to complain. I'm zoned OK for goats and all but I do what
    i can to be a good neighbor----even if their dog barked for over an hour last night at 1:30 AM and even if the other neighbor has a huge medical pot green house Right on the fence line that smells like skunk cabbage during parts of the year and the smell comes right in my bedroom window.

2. Well I had a nubian that was a screamer. All the time. Whether I was inside or not. Thankfully he is gone now. It has been so peaceful here. Lol

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I think bottle babies, in general, are noisy regardless of the breed. My friend's pen of Swiss breed and La Mancha kids maaa just as much when I walk by as my pen of Nubian kids. There are some Nubians that are noisier than others and I think the breed has a harder time adjusting to change without talking about it, but my pen of adult does is not noisy except at feeding time, as are most goats. Kathie

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I have one screamer. Tater screams, I mean loud blarring...please shut up..screams. If she sees me and I go feed the chickens before coming in and milking because I need eggs for breakfast. Nubians are loud, except bucks, I have never had a buck with a good voice, most of mine sort of squeak.

Tater's dam Shoofly is not loud, and I am not sure I have ever heard Tot (her daughter) udder a word. Now when her two best friends leave later this month, we shall hear how quiet she is.

Kids hate change and they think you are starving them, they love their milk. They will calm down in a few weeks :) vicki

5. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Thanks, Today was the first full day with No milk and she (Sticky) was not impressed one bit she screams in two or three syllables maaaa ha ma ha while standing on a big wooden spool looking over at the house. It is very pitiful to say the least :down and it makes me feel sorry for her. Now the Lamancha on the other had is taking the weaning in stride, such a good girl she is.

6. Truly

Truly New Member

How old is she?

When I wean mine, they are usually not that interested in the lambar anymore anyways. This is usually between 4-6 months.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

:rofl Well Tater Salad doeling of Tater is a screamer just open the door and she is now in a back pasture yep you can hear her. my LaMancha's are not loud but Tater Salad and Danish Pastry two nubians are loud. The other Nubians are quiet except when waiting to be milked.

8. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

I am guessing that if you let your goats wander into the neighbors greenhouse to browse for a while they would mellow out :rofl but you may have to take them out for a burger later :rofl

Sorry I just could't resist.

Anne

9. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I only have one loud nubian right now and that's a buck! man what a screamer freedom is.

10. My screamer that I was referring to in my post above was my nubian buck (Storm) He'd scream with or with out food, with or with out me, with or with out any other goats. I am happy he is gone. :) It has been sooooo peaceful here.

My nubian girls will call out when its milk/feed time but they do not scream. :) Thankgoodness! Lol.

My two nubian bucklings (12weeks old) will call out if Im outside but they will not stand at the fence and scream non stop.

11. Leo

Leo New Member

In my herd, my herdsires are quiet and the girls are generally loud, their kids though half of them are loud, the other half quite.

Whenever they see me, the girls call out, I do yell back so maybe it's my fault, my DH says I'm pretty loud too though. :cool
    Megan

12. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

She is 12 weeks, I know some wean much later but with the price of whole milk from the store at almost $6.00 a gallon I decided to go a head and wean them. The Lamancha is a few weeks older.

13. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

My hus says the same thing about me too. :lol On a still night or a foggy morning my voice can really carry through the trees. One of my neighbores and good friend comes home late from her job so she has late feeding hours with her horses so offten I can hear her yelling KNOCK IT OFF when her mare is acting up at feeding time.

14. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

I am milking three of our girls right now. They hardly ever made a sound until they kidded and now they yell everytime they see or here me. It is probably a little my fault to as I always talk to them when they do.
    Clay

15. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Hmmmm. never thought about it that my goats are loud because I am :) Vicki

16. Leo

Leo New Member

LOL, every animal I bring home is loud or will be. Kinda why I think it's me, even if the animal is quite when I bring her home, after a few months to a year, their loud, whether it's a dog, goat, bird, cow or pig, they see me and hollar. Oh, but if they see my DH, they don't do anything.:) I do feel bad for my neighbors sometimes, luckily they are really friendly.
    Megan

17. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

lol. Well, last year, we had a noisy buck, and a member of the national guard stopped to ask if we knew WHO was screaming bloody murder.........lol. (he thought maybe a farmer's tractor had flipped onto him, or something... and was ready to call in the troops for a rescue...)

Well, now, we kept Kelso's son, (and we still have our beloved, tho noisy Kelso, too. lol) and he is an even BIGGER mouth! lol.............(he is part Nubian.. lol)

18. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Our Nubian Capella is a loudy. I bless the months she is PG as she is so blissfully quiet! But right after she kids she is back to being loud. she doesn't scream all day, but if I'm out doing chores she does. Late afternoons are fairly quiet for her - she's all full of browse and lounging in the shade like a prima donna.

My alpines are so much quieter by comparison. Even when they cry out it is so much quieter than a nubian. My La Mancha was barely audible.

I gave Capella's Babies to my neighbor and those kids SCREAM!!! They are half LaMancha even! I'm glad I am hearing from afar!

19. Rose

Rose New Member

Our herd only has one Nubian, and she's rather quiet. The Alpine calls to us when she sees us come out of the house. The LaMancha hums.

20. AshleyP

AshleyP Guest

We just weaned one nubian doeling and let me tell you the first couple days she was very LOUD. She is settling in though, occasionally when we are outside she will start bauling. When we leave she gets quiet. I think if you just ignore them they will stop trying to get your attention so much.