Nubians and growth

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo~*, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Just wondering at what age Nubian's or any other goat for that matter stops growing/filling out.

Yes, (for those of you following my saga) I do have a couple of Nubian's I'm thinking about BUT so far I only have some not to hot pictures of them that were sent to me.
    I have someone looking at the pictures for me and I'll go from there.

I keep telling myself that in a month or two there will be more goats to choose from :sigh.
    I'll probally just have to make a day of it and go looking out of town. If there is one thing I have learned over the years its that you won't find what your looking for in my town unless it has something to do with fishing.

2. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Most Nubians reach their full potential at 4 years old - until then, they are still growing. Body condition however can depend on management. Goats under poor management can be thin or emaciated.

3. Josie

Josie New Member

Is it possible to ever correct stunting? For example a friend gave me a doeling who was barely 50lbs at 10 months. I didn't end up keeping her, but would it have been possible for her to grow properly under right management?

Have you seen cases were older goats (say two or so) were able to grow significantly?

Thanks! (hope this wasn't hijacking the thread to ask!)

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

For me the answer to your question is no...because with neglected animals, underweight can mean severe intestinal damage that will never repair from cocci or worms, lung damage from pnemonia...when basic management needs are so poor, then hoof trimming is neglected and does legs suffer when not trimmed regularly as kids.

I think setting hard and written in stone rules for your farm, that rarely if ever include (well except for this or well maybe if that) is the best way to make a good go of lasting in goats.

I also hate having excuses...I can always blame my does forelegs on her previous owner, I can always blame her not being tall on not getting enough calcium to grow bone...when is it not an excuse and simply bloodline you should ditch? Vicki

Vicki

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I think it depends on just how small a doe is and why she may be stunted. Also how old she is. I'm thinking of Evette, a Nubian doe I purchased this year. She is two years old. The summer she was born, my friend took her to a goat show where she got a wood chip from the bedding they provided stuck in the beginning of her digestive tract. We realized this when she would eat her hay, but not swallow it, and was basically living on hay juice for several days. Her cheeks would fill up like a chipmunk's. The vet ran a tube down her and dislodged the wood, but it took a bit longer for the swelling to go doen before she was eating correctly. This bad start as a kid as well as inconsistant feeding of developer pellets got her off to a slow start and she was not big enough to breed until she was a yearling. When I bought her, she was smaller than my larger yearlings at two years old. I took her to a show where Saada was and Laura was pretty sure that with good management, I could get more growth on her as their lines grow til they are 4. I'm pleased to say that she is growing - she's still not as big as the two year olds born here, but she's doing much better in a mainly Nubian herd. Though I mainly bought her for her genetics, I think she has a chance to get enough growth to do well in the show ring next year. She has the best udder of any Nubian I've ever owned and the rest of her is lovely as well.

6. Josie

Josie New Member

Thanks for the input! so if stunting is severe they're stuck, but if it's mild there's a good chance they'll grow a bit more at least.

Will file with my "goat info"!

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I think you need to sit back make it thru the holidays and wait til spring . You are jumping from 1 bad deal to another . If you do not have the up front money for a good doe wait . The difference will quickly be added up in feed and meds trying to get a not so great goat well . The cheaper goat will wind up costing twice as much and still not be a great goat .

Check ADGA web site , check here to see what good breeders are near you . Only look at herds that test for cae and cl . Ask to see the paper work. Look for people who show or are on test or at least can tell you what a goats dam milked etc.

Patty

8. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Everything said above is so true ! Let somebody else feed thru the winter :biggrin , wait till spring ... I sold my beautiful Goldy just because she did not milk as much as my other 2 LM and she was a tad smaller and the main reason was that I needed to make room for my LM/Nubian cross hopefully doe that I will have from spotted Nboy ... but the lady I sold her too had a old doe that sucked herself and she had kept her anyway as a pet , she was a lady that I thought would keep and take care very good of my Goldy and make a good home for her so I bred Goldy to spotted N boy and sold her AND I also sent Latte doe ,Goldie's 1/2 Boer doe with her, and Latte doe was bred to our FB Boer FREE ..... just because I wanted Goldy to have company and not stress her , I could have sold Latte doe for $100.00 or so but I was very happy to ease my anxiety about selling Goldy by giving the lady Latte. I THINK the lady will get rid of the sucking doe and keep Latte and Goldy as the lady liked Latte . Latte is young enough that she will gentle up and both will be putty in this Lady's hand so I AM HAPPY and my doe's will be HAPPY ....I sold Goldy doe for $250.00 and that was a fair price for a reg. 75% grade LM., SOOOO if everything goes well the lady will get 2 dairy kids from Goldy and 1 Boer kid from Latte and keep her 2 doe's .... the Lady got a GOOD deal and we both are happy :biggrin !!
    Yes, we check both boer and my milk does for CAE & CL and my milkers get Qtest,brucellious and TB all are CLEAR !! :lol

Did you call your local feed stores for goat owners ?? That is how I found the beautiful Nubian buck to bred my girls too this year AND the Ladys goats are healthy and clear of diseases as she works at the emergency animal clinic...... try it as it cant hurt, try calling a livestock vets office also as they know lots of goat farms in your area :biggrin ..... heck I found several vet's that raised goats

9. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Hi Patty.
    Its not that I am only looking at cheap goats, I'm looking at the only goats for sale around here. I have gone to the ADGA web site and I am checking the ones closest to me and there are not many, actually none closer than 100+ miles.
    One thing good about seeing not so hot goats is that it will help me know a good goat when I see one. I'm really learning alot with all of this. The good and the bad, plus I like "talking" to ya all :biggrin

I have gone to our vets, and our feedstores and the few locals that raise goats. Even went knocking on strangers doors that have goats in the backyard and joined the 4H goat club. (mostly Pygmy's here)

10. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

100 miles really is not far to go. I have driven 8 hours ! Keep looking as long as you do not bring anything home . Spring will give you many more options.

Patty

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Jo share your home town or perhaps the prefix of your phone number or something like a zipcode that is around you and yours that I could just scan through the directory and find you folks in your area. There are goats in your area, you just don't know it. I have never not done a search in the directory and not found someone!

Like here, close would be 281 and 409 and 713 area codes. Vicki

12. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

I emailed you a note. :D