nubian ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bella Star, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I have a Nubian friend and am wondering how stressful would it be to move maby 1-3 more very pregnant (due anymoment) doe's over to my house that is about 15 mi. away ? One older doe kidded this morning early at friends house and both kids died , the doe now needs to be milked and my friend has to go out of town for a few days. I would rather have the does at my house as I can watch them in case they get into trouble... What should I do to the doe's IF I get them ?? Is there any shots that I can give them when they get here IF I get them ? I dont want to stress them AS they are nubies and they have never been away from home .
    THANKS !!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Move them early morning so they can settle in well before dark. I wouldn't do anything to them drug wise with them all due to kid. Bo-se, worm them, and then worm them again the day they kid. Lots of good hay, clean water, minerals, and the diet they are used to, don't go tweaking it for visitors. Vicki

3. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Do you have dates on the does? Do you have a quiet pen just for them? I would want them near me too.

But if this is just a tempory thing then maybe leave them be. If permanent, then go ahead and get them.

4. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Ok, I got it.... move early am and (I cant as I cant get a stranger goat by myself :( ... I could get them after dark and leave the flood light on or maby get them about 4-5 am. early , feed them their same feed and no tweaking , easy as the feed store guy knows what my friend feeds :) , give bo-se (I dont have any :( , I'm good on the hay,water and minerals , the quiet pen has the nice sweet boer doe with 1 week ond twins, the nubies are quiet and really sweet doe's also but who knows when they kid ....... it is temporary but still since she lost 2 premmie kids this morning .. who knows what could happen if they were alone at their house/pen and kidded and no-one home ? my friend has no idea as to when they were bred but she said one could kid tonight as they are uddered up and bred about the same as the time the one that kidded this morning was. :/

5. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Sounds like a plan. Your friend is probably very glad that she has you do do "something" with the goats. the goats will be fine...and you will be able to see if anything is going on. If there are small children around, have them be quiet around nervous goats.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You aren't going to put them in with your goats are you?? Aborting late, can be just from rough housing, but can also be from disease! Vicki

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

personally I think you have the possibility of have babies during the move.

8. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Vicki say's .... DISEASE !!! what kind ???
    The lady has been VERY busy with ill person and is heading out again , it could be rough housing as when I took the spotted nubie boy home he jumped the fence and was with 2 other bucks in the herd with doe's and they fought till they destroyed her barn and was breeding everything or trying .The lady did say the doe was about 7 and that she had never aborted before ....... what disease could the doe have ?? (you know I am paronoid about diseases !! )

I would like to keep this nubie as I wanna know how much this doe produces and what real FB nubie milk taste like :) and compare it to my LM doe's :)

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Lepto
    Q Fever
    Clymidia

for starters and can also be spread to you. So you need to isolate just in case

10. KUrby

KUrby New Member

Oh those are bad dieases too :shocked
    K

11. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

well.......... the goaties are left at friends house :biggrin

and we have worked things out .... WHEW !! My friend is just afraid to move the doe's right now .
    I am going read up on those diseases .
    THANKS !

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ah I for one am relieved, know it makes more work for you going there to take care of them but sure think in this case it is better.