nubian/togg doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by feistygoatwoman, Jul 11, 2008.

1. feistygoatwoman

feistygoatwoman New Member

Hi! I am going to look at a nubian/toggenburg doe on Sunday and was wondering if that was a good cross. She is registered and her current owner said she is a really easy milker. She also said because of this mix she is an excellent milking doe (higher butterfat- nubian/higher yielding-togg). Just thought I would get some opinions. I think I am going to get her, but I would still like some feedback.

Thanks!!

Amber

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

The first cross is usually a very good doe, hybrid vigor. Then you have to decide who to breed her to...my opinion go Lamancha.

Biggy is to milk the doe, taste the milk straight from the doe warm. Toggs were bred for a very strong taste to their milk, most of todays toggs no longer have much of the gene left but some do. It makes wonderful cheese, but it is not the best for raw drinking.

She should come easily out the barn onto the milkstand. She should not be shy for you, you should be able to hold her by the collar. You should be able to milk her...now you may have a weird grip she isn't used to, so a lifted leg for you when her owner she stands, is no biggy she will get used to you...but dancing for her owner, you got to wonder if she was truly milked.

Go home with a bale of hay and a sack of grain, ask for it and pay for it.

Look at the other goats in the herd, you are not just coming home with the health of that doe but also the other goats. Diarrhea in the pen? Swollen knees, does walking on their front knees. Swollen lymp nodes on the neck and throat. Old scars on the neck and throat. Pet her goats, and pet them on their neck and throat you can casually feel for old scars. Really feel of the udder, run your fingers through it when she empties her, you do not want to feel scar tissue. Nearly all goats have a small lump etc, as long as it is connected to the skin of the udder and not in the tissue inside that is fine.

Two teats, nice streams so she milks out fast.

If she does no have CAE tests for you when you get there see if she will sign a contract that you bring the goat back or you get your money back if she test postivie in 30 days...I have my contract on goatkeeping101 tweak mine for the sale of this doe.

Worm her when she gets home and do not put her in with your goats until you get tests results back. Vicki

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I also take extra clothes and shoes so that I dont bring anything home with me when I go look at goats too...just being precautious..

4. feistygoatwoman

feistygoatwoman New Member

Thanks for the info!! I am new to dairy goats, but love them so much. All the information I can get is great. I was raised with horses, and showed for a long time, but the goat world is a little different than the horse world. (goat people seem to be a little nicer ;)

I will do all the above tomorrow when I go and look at her!!