Nubian people - PM me

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Secondairy, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

Hi, I know that several members and moderators of this forum have Nubians, and I am thinking about purchasing a doe that recently became available. She is a 2 yr. old FF, which is now dry, as her single buck kid was dam raised. I am going out to look at her next week, and am also pulling blood on her for CAE and CL testing to ship out and get results on before I make any final decisions. What I know thus far is that she is a PB Nubian, Black and Tan with a small amount of white on her. Her current owner was contemplating getting into dairy when she was purchased last year, but has decided not to go that way, and instead is sticking with their Boers. Her pedigree is below:

http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail.aspx?RegNumber=N001382864

If anyone is familiar with this animal, or the lineage behind her, please let me know. She is a real bargain at $60.00 (auction meat price here), providing that she is 'clean'. Feel free to PM me with any information that you may have. I plan on using her for house milk, as I prefer the flavor of Nubian milk for straight drinking. She will be used either on my Togg bucks, or another friend's Nubian buck. There is also the possibility of AI'ing her to a great Nubian buck - but I am not sure about that yet as I have no experience, and no one around here does AI to learn from.

Thanks!

Kelly :)

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

all I can say is if clean healthy and produces the price is right :)

3. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Pretty nice pedigree. Should have lots of milk. If she is clean, sounds good to me.
    Les

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

A very typical Frosty Marvin type bloodline, in which the top of the paperwork carries more weight than the bottom. She's registered, if shes clean than $60 is a steal. vicki

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Not a great pedigree.

If she is healthy, clean, then the price is fine if you are just looking for a home milker.

Sara

6. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Be sure that she is not wild. It is not worth it if you have to go out and chase down a doe when it is time to milk. And you might also want to know if they ever milked her. Just my opinion.
    Theresa

7. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

Thanks for the replies - If I wanted to make a better pedigree on the kids using this doe as their dam, is there any suggestions as to which buck would be a good match for her? Nubians are fairly common for us here, and I have a pretty good selection of breeders that I could talk to locally, as well as pedigrees to search though. This year she is bred to a Boer for meat kids (which I have no problem with!), but I could always lute her and have her bred to a Nubian buck next month.

She has never been milked, as she frehsened with a single buckling sired by a Boer, and he was dam raised by her. She is friendly, and has been on the milk stand for vaccinations, clipping, hoof trimming and such, and is generally well mannered. I will see when I get there if she is hard to get on the stand, and if she behaves herself on it with my general exam.

Again, thank you for the replies. I will try to get some pictures of her, and more information when I go see her.

Kelly :)

8. FRW

FRW New Member

Be sure to CL test most boers do have CAE and CL . I would quarantine before introducing to my other animals.
    Also if she has been breed to long you could cause more problems with kids infections etc.If she is just bred you could be OK.
    Lut does not always abort a unwanted pregnancy. They will sometimes cycle and still have kids by the prior breeding.
    Just check with the vet on the days bred and Lut.
    You will know when she kids as to what kind of udder and milk you will get.

9. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I recognize the bloodlines in the sire, but not the dam. What I've been learning, breeding Nubians is that it's not just getting goats with good genetics, but also getting lines that cross well with each other. If I were buying this doe, I wouldn't bother luting her. I'd let her have the Boer kids and see what her udder looks like. From there, I'd choose a buck who will give me the improvements I seek. Kathie