Now how do you figure out wholesale pricing?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by [email protected], Oct 29, 2008.

1. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

So I have to send the wholesale price and a catalog to the healthfood store so they can look at it. How do I figure out wholesale pricing? I'm not 100% sure what that means even. Oh, this business stuff is so interesting.... :D

2. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Wholesale is what you charge a store that will then mark that price up to retail for sales to their customers. So, 'retail' is what is charged the end customer, and 'wholesale' is what a manufacturer charges the retail outlet (store). I think most sell wholesale around 50 percent of their retail price.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I initially tripled the cost of my midline bar and that was my wholesale price, it still gives them a good price to work with, but no I would not do 50%. Almost all of my stores charge $6.95 for my bars, I sell wholesale them for $3.50 but they must buy 36 bars. Trippeling my cost also gave me something to work with, with this cost of freight increase on everything I have not changed that price yet.

4. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Ah, but your $3.50 price is 50% of their retail price. That's what I was referring to. :) I wouldn't wholesale mine at 50% what I sell them for either. But in a store setting I think my bars would sell for a bit more than what I sell them for at the market.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

As a new person you do not want your wholesale near your 50% retail per bar so you have wiggle room and aren't upping the cost of your bars each year....better :) vicki