Now a doeling with a wet tail but appears to be cycling

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Feral Nature, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

This is a March 07 LM doeling that has been bred this fall by a LM but now she has a wet tail and Bandera the MM is blubbering at her through the fence and she is wagging and interested. She is one I am treating for the "snot and cough". She was supposed to have been bred and due in mid-April but I was suspicious anyway that it didn't take.

She may have aborted too (?) but she is interested in the buck. I don't want summer babies even if she was 100% healthy. So i guess i should get her all well and then just breed her later (?) These LM and MM seem like they cycle all year round anyway...especially this rascal Mr. Testosterone Bandera :sigh

And are there effects on the fetus if they get tetracylcine early in their development? These goats are driving me nuts :crazy

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would not breed anything until you have this under control. I would also be treating herdwide with the feed through. Using systemic shots on my bucks and also the does due first.

And bucks can not tell the difference between aborting, kidding and does in season, to them discharge is discharge, least in my bucks, and very obviously due does here will flag at the bucks on the fence line right now, maybe just being mean, or playing a game, I really do think I see the others laughing at times :) Vicki

3. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

I agree, yesterday my bucks were in the pasture adjoining my preggo doe pen. One of the bucks was throwing a fit and blubbering up a storm at the fenceline. Now these girls are VERY pregnant...two are due any day. And they all went over to the fencline and were rubbin on it, wagging their tails at him, driving him CRAZY! Finally I had to put the boys back in their pen because he really looked like he was about to go through the fence!

4. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Thanks for the replies to my ongoing saga. The herd is much much better overall and I am only giving shots now to a couple with hanging on snots or coughs, but the whole herd is just about well. All 17 getting crumbles and the bucks have indeed had injections and look good. I feel better about the course of this disease process and am just letting the chips fall as they may with the pregnancies, whoever is bred, is bred. I had 12 does bred, only one of them is a Boer, the rest dairy and I was feeling overwhelmed anyway with no milk machine and no little people helpers. Sometimes these things are Blessings in disguise if we take a deep breath and don't get freaked out ;)

Unfortunately, one of the does that aborted was promised to a buyer for big $$$, but glad I didn't take a deposit, just promised him and his wife i would not sell her to anyone else. The other doe he wanted is fine, but now i don't want to sell anything til they are all in perfect health. He was asking my DH about her this week :/