not settling

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by dq, Nov 4, 2008.

1. dq

dq New Member

I'm sure that this topic discussed to death but this is my first experience with this sort of problem. I knew this doe was a gamble. she is around 7yrs. likely bred her first year, bought at an auction to save a foal, given to someone else where she lived unbred and barely cared for until a few months ago. there is a strange growth in her mammary. she came down with acute mastitis soon after I aquired her (she was given to me) and I think likely she had been living with a varying degree of mastitis for years due to the ignorance and neglect of her owner. The stress of the move probably resulted in a more acute case. The reason this is relevent possibly is that I'm hypothesising that the treatment for mastitis (just prior to attempting to get her bred) would have cleared up a uterine infection too.....yes... no maybe so..

she cycled, I bred her on 9/28 I didn't see a heat cycle in 21 days but observed one on 10/29. I thought it no big surprise that she didn't settle the first time and her cyle is wacky, old doe young buck. but now 11/4, 6 days later she was ready for the buck AGAIN!

she is not acting bucky and is quite willing to allow the buck to mount her when in heat and he is most definitly penetrating and ejaculating. she has a goopy tail and is trying to get in the buck pen , A day later she has lost interest and just hangs with him.

I know she may be a lost cause but is a nice doe (probably the nicest I have, other than this of course)and I don't have breeding program that I can cull for everything that is a PIA, yet. she is proving to be an excellent way for me to gain additional experience either way :)

what are your thoughts and suggestions? thanks

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

This doe would be a good candidate for cystorellin.

Depends on what you used and how.??
    Kaye

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I know she may be a lost cause but is a nice doe (probably the nicest I have, other than this of course)and I don't have breeding program that I can cull for everything that is a PIA, yet. she is proving to be an excellent way for me to gain additional experience either way

I will be totally honest with you first. The sad fact is a doe unhealthy like this doe is, uterine infections, especially ones that have hung on for this long since her last kidding, scar the uterus, making implantation of the eggs impossible, or by scarring the tubes so although she can cycle and be bred, eggs can not find thier way down into the uterus. Mastitis...the only thing you can be sure of this doe giving you in the way of experience is experience with likely a form of mastitis that can also ruin your other goats.

To think that this is a nice doe. Nice first and foremost must mean healthy...not barren, ruined udder, no matter if she is the last National champion alive, it is not a nice goat.

If you won't cull her than treat her agressively, the ultimate in what do you have to loose. I would treat her for a uterine infection both systemically with shots, but also in a uterine flush, done by someone who can thread the mare catheter up through the cervic, or it will do no good.Do you know anyone who AI's? Also infuse her udder and perhaps use an antibiotic on the mastitis that will also in a good enough dose....may help with the uterine infection. Then CIDR her and give her one chance to be bred.

If you treat her this month, Cidr her the first of december, you could then breed her around Christmas.

For now get her away from the buck. We can just only hope that you have already tested for CAE, she doesn't have CL and isn't barren due to a sexually transmitted disease now carried by the buck who bred her. Vicki

4. dq

dq New Member

she was treated with naxcel 6cc every other day for the mastitis. I think it was 3 times but my memory of it is fading already. but if a uterine infection needs an infusion into the uterus than she certainly hasnt' recieved that. I think I will see if my vet is of any use and can get me the cystorellin. and try to do the protocal for cystic ovaries. If that doesn't work and this is an infection or scarring then I will sadly just put her down. I will then only have the mastitis treatment and the treatment for the cystic ovaries in her and will just cut my losses. I dont' feel competent myself to do a uterine flush. I know somebody who ai's but I won't pursue that if she has a uterine infection I'm sure she is ruined because it would have been goin gon for a long time.

isnt' the CIDR a hormonal treatment too? I am completely clueless about it. I 'll have to be able to fix her up pretty cheap otheriwise I would rather jsut buy another healthy doe with the money. sad but true.

Vicki - I don't know if you remember me or this doe. I pm'ed you looking for help and advice on the HT board about the mastitis. This is a doe I got from an animal hoarder. she very well may be ruined and I know no matter how "nice" she is she is worthless if she can't get bred or is going to cost me out the wazoo to do it, but I wished to give her a chance although she is quickly running out of them :(

forgot to add- she is CAE negative. I dont' test for cl but she has no signs or symptoms and has no exposure to goats other than mine and the one she was living with for 5-7 years. a std is possible but I weighed the risk and found it to be small enough to be acceptable to me. I have mostly boers so this buck isn't exactly covering all my does and spreading ickys around, he is only here for two does.

5. dq

dq New Member

If I didn't really want more goats that looked like her I wouldn't have agreed to take her in the first place. but I may not get any out of her anyway. oh fooey.
    [​IMG]

6. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Oh my!!! Is the mastitis what is causing the udder to look like that? I would absolutely freak out.

7. dq

dq New Member

I don't know. I am guessing it has to do with ongoing untreated mastitis and is some sort of scar tissue. Or it could be a tumour or probably any number of things. It hasn't changed since I "met" her (which was when I went to trim her feet for the woman who had her). the udder is hard on this side. some fluid in it but not milk by any stretch of hte imagination. On this side there is not much "pocket" for the fluid left, the whole side just seems full and hard with two relatively distinctly shaped masses in it. the other side feels mostly normal. when she had the acute mastitis I milked her out thoroughly several times before infusing it with tommorrow. it was disgusting, the first cup or so was clearish fluid and then it was just gobs and gobs of puss. since treatment it has filled up with fluid again and I have tentatively milked her out just a bit to see and there isn't any more puss. and of course she doesn't look like she has 3 feet in the grave and one on a banana peel anymore.

I know you all probably think I was nuts for even taking her home. it was certainly part pity that made me do it. I was informed yesterday that her former herdmate (that I refused to take) has unfortunatley NOT died yet. she was crippled terribly and can't stand many days. likely CAE on top of neglect. I was assured that she had "layed hands on her knees and she was getting better" . cuckoo for coco puffs. At least this one will meet a swift and painless end if she is indeed ruined.