Not eating grain...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Is this normal? A 10 week old buckling still not wanting to eat grain? Wont take alfalfa pellets either. He'll eat hay. And he still gets his milk twice a day also. He's had grain for the past 4 weeks. The most he's done was nibble at it. He's healthy. Bright eyed and active. Everything is normal with him.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Whats he weigh? His poop is normal and his gums are pink and eyelids red? I don't care or even take note if my kids eat grain. I want them drinking as much milk as they will, they will be eating grain all too soon! Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

4. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

My April kids just started being interested in grain - seemed like it took forever!!! I do have an 8 day old buckling, that I left on his dam that was nibbling at 4 days old! To get the April kids interested I would put grain in the feeder about ten minutes before I filled the lambar. The other little guy - monkey see monkey do.

Anne

5. for me buck kids love grain and start eating it right away. Doe kids nibble , then about 3 months old they start eating it seriously.
    Becky

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I am so totally off the wall that mine usually aren't even offered anything besides milk for at least a month and lots of time two months old. I have April kids that are just now starting to nibble at some grain only because I put a couple yearlings in with them and they get the grain and alfalfa pellets so the youngins are inquisitive.

7. Eyelids red, Gums are pink, poop is normal and he weighs 42lbs. Drinking 32oz goats milk AM & PM. Has free choice alfalfa hay which he does eat. He was born April 10th.

Thanks for the replies. :)

[​IMG]

8. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Are those horns I see coming up on top of his head?? :really

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

just as a comparison my Mar Nubian doeling from Vicki weighed in this AM at 55lb and my April 10 doeling born here weighed in at 40lb just now being offered oats and alfalfa pellets but only nibbling. a MM buck kid Born May 1st weighed in at 25lb All on the lambar

10. Thanks

Yes he's getting horns. He was disbudded but it didnt work and I wasn't going to put him through dehorning because his horns where too big for disbudding with the iron when we had the vet check him.

11. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

"""""for me buck kids love grain and start eating it right away. Doe kids nibble , then about 3 months old they start eating it seriously.
    Becky""""

:yeahthat My bucklings will always be ahead of the doelings when it comes to eating other things besides milk. I could if I would, wean my bucklings 2 to 3 weeks earlier than my doelings every time.

Whim

12. eliya

eliya New Member

I don't feed my kids any grain, so I can't really tell you if that is normal or not.

13. Thanks everyone. I guess I wont be too concerned about it for now... since he's drinking his milk and eating hay. :)