Not a lot of milk yet. Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Solana my FF alpine kidded on 4-8-08. I am letting her dam raise her buckling/soon to be wether. Even with that I would think she would produce a lot more milk than she is. Her udder looks small but nice and globular. She is not even giving me a 1/4 of a quart a day it seems. Okay MAYBE a quart on a GOOD day. Should I be worried because she is not producing more? I keep hearing about does that give in excess of a gallon a day, some even more. Yicks!! The buckling is sure not starving to death. He looks great.

Another worry. Solana's hip bones and back look VERY skinny. Help.

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Did you deworm her when she kidded? and then 10 days later? Do that if you didn't and give her some probios orally. Is she getting her 3 pounds of alfalfa pellets daily and about 2 pounds of grain daily? Those babies can drink a lot and when they Dam raise, they tend to hold back their milk from you. She is a first freshener so don't expect a lot from her this year. Next year she will produce more and then by her 3rd freshening she will have even more.

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I did worm her. I will worm her again. I do not have probios. I will have to get some. I was wondering if maybe she was holding back on me. It seemed like a few times she would suck it back up...if that is possible. :? How many cups equal a pound? I feed in cups. Maybe I am not feeding enough. She is very tiny stature-wise. Not a full standard size at all. She was never sick so my theory is that her growth was stunted by a selenium deficiencey before I knew that there was such a thing. She is not starving that is for sure. I had to say that before I tell you this. I weighed her in Feb. at the vets. It said she was 54.4 lbs. She did not even look skinny then and she was preg. too. A few days ago she weighed 63.6 lbs. She kidded on 4-8-08.

So now my having given you that bit of news how much, according to body weight should she have of grain and such...in cups?

Here is a pic of her with her buckling and a very poor clip job. She has spots now. ( :) )

[​IMG] Solana's udder a few minutes after I milked her.

[​IMG] Spots now and a bad clip job. :)

P.S. If her udder looks a little lopsided, its because it is. With only one side being nursed from I am trying to tape the teat and work at evening it out. No success so far. Tape keeps coming off. :sigh

Thanks for your help in this.

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Actually she doesn't look skinny to me. And by the way... that is a pretty little udder on her. About 2 cups of grain twice a day is what I would give her and her 3 pounds of alfalfa pellets. Put out more pellets if the buckling is starting to eat too.

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Good. I give her 1 cup of grain in morning and 1 cup at evening.
    1/2 cup BOSS morning 1/2 cup evening.
    Top dress with calf manna morning & evening.
    2 cups alfalfa morning and 2 cups alfalfa (pellets) at evening.

Is this good?

Sometimes I add a little more alfalfa pellets. I just put out a mineral free choice too.

Thanks.

P.S. She does not look skinny in the pics above which were taken about 2 or 3 days ago. But her hips look skinny now. At least sometimes. I am so confused. Especially right before feeding time. ??? Is that normal? I want her to be taken care of well. Not starved but not overfed either. :sigh

6. Cotton Eyed Does

I would give her about 6-8 cups of alfalfa pellets a day and leave them out for her to eat on all during the day. She needs the calcium from them right now. I would also give her about another 1/2 cup of grain a.m. and p.m. I put out alfalfa pellets every morning for my girls to eat on. The next morning, there is just a few left.

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you very much. This helps a lot. :)

8. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I think she looks pretty healthy. Dairy goats, like dairy cows SHOULD be somewhat skinny-looking standing along side a boer goat or big angus cow. If she's wormed, and getting all that you are giving her...and she is also getting free-choice hay, (I didn't see it if you mentioned that) then she should be fine. Making sure she has plenty of minerals too is helpful insurance against the baby depleting her reserves of those. All of my three does....and yes, this is MY first year kidding also..developed their milk supply slowly, and now, at about two months fresh are producing nice amounts of milk. :woohooMy FF is producing 7-8 or so pounds, which measures out to about 1 gallon. I have a grade alpine 6 year old that is giving 12-13 pounds per day, and then I have another grade alpine who is raising her boys. I seperate them at night and milk mom in the morning, when I get about 3 pounds. I don't milk her all the way out as she has very small teats and it's time consuming when I don't absolutely have to. Her boys will be weaned this weekend and banded too! They will be eight weeks old and they are running around trying to mount everybody! All my girls dropped weight along their top line, but their rumen's look plump and healthy...I'm assuming their weight has sort of shifted down with the increased rumen and udder sizes. (maybe I'm wrong here...just a thought).

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Yes, she is getting free choice hay. Thanks!