Norcalciphos

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LMonty, Mar 16, 2008.

1. LMonty

LMonty New Member

I know its given IV or SQ. Can it also be used orally safely? I got a 500 cc bottle from the vet as an emergency supply. Have never used it myself, just the oral CMPK preparations. Any advice on it?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I don't use it orally. Have you looked it up in goatkeeping101 on the saanendoah info section? All drugs are listed on it. Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Don't believe this is in Goat 101 /saanendoah but do think it is only given IV or SQ same as injectable CMPK

4. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Thanks! No, I didnt find it in the 101, it may be that I missed it. I didnt think to check Saanendoah. I did get it with the intention of having it as an emrgency only drug if the oral wasnt enough.

I didnt have any indication it could be used orally, but the thought came to me as I was putting it away that I should ask, just in case. If anyone woud know- it would be someone on here! :)

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

This is the drug my vet gave me for hypocalcemia. He said to give it subQ. Kathie

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I would suggest that you save it for SQ injections, when the oral doesn't seem to do the trick. It's a lot harder to get than the oral.
    Kaye

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I think that depends on where you live. My vet sells me Norcalciphos whenever I need it. None of our feed stores sell either the liquid CMPK or the MFO. Never the less, I still inject the Norcalciphos as prescribed. Kathie

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yes, it does. Mine will too.....BUT, most of the people on here don't have vets that will just sell OTC...NOT EVEN SIMPLE items such as banamine! All of the vet supply catalogs carry an oral CMPK without an Rx...and all of my feed stores carry it on the shelves.
    K