No stored up colostrum

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Dec 14, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

If you do not have any colostrum on hand, how do you handle your first birth as far as feeding goes?

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Your does should make enough for the kids. If you're raising the kids on prevention, they can wait for you to heat treat the dam's colostrum. If you're concerned, try and find some colostrum from Johnnes free cows or another goat breeder. In a real pinch, a woman I know has used something for calves called Just Like Mom. It's powdered cow colostrum. She supplements the does colostrum if they are short, and I've used it a couple of times as well in the case of multiples.
    Do you live near Graniteville? My sister lives there. Kathie

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

After the immune collapse of one of my does this last year who was given cattle colostrum as a kid, I just can't say enough how much I don't recommend the use of it in small ruminants. Also if the powdered cattle colostrum doesn't have dosages of how much IeG in it, than it can't work for anything more than calories and cleaning out the meconium in the gut, and adding some corn syrup to milk does that.

Your kids immunity is so important, in fact colostrum from a good source (a doe in her 3rd lactation or more, even just 5 ounces of it and the rest colostrum from her dam if she is young......and if you are feeding colostrum from a young doe, feed every drop she makes in the first 12 hours to her kids, no saving it) is critical to the life of that kid until it can be vaccinated, and some immune problems are not vaccinatable.

After the tragedy with my doe, I talked to others who had does that age from the same person, and to another well known breeder who used to use colostrum from cattle, who will never do it again also. She likened her experiment with cattle colostrum to being new, cocci out of control, ecoli in her kids, worm burdens in kid pens she never had problems with before, and interstesial pnemonia which is really a pnemonia seen only in goats with CAE (immune depleted does) in kids.

There is no reason at all to not just milk the doe out the day before she is due, heat treat that colostrum and use it as the first feeding so the kids don't have to wait a couple hours for you to heat treat. Then milk her again, heat treat the colostrum without the kids screaming :) Then save her colostrum you have left over for the next batch of kids etc...I always save frozen colostum and save frozen milk for my first batches of kids born. And yes I do sell frozen colostrum but it's dear. Vicki

4. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I have two does that are 7 years old and will kid in late Jan. I'd like to use their colostrum for my 1st freshner kids. I have 4 first freshning does this year. I'd like to get enough colostrum to save for these kids. About how many hours do I have to gather this colostrum? When does it begin to lose it qualities?
    Thanks,
    Anita

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

The best colostrum is of course what is in the udder when she freshens, then I get as many milkings in as I can the first 12 hours after freshening, this I use and save for myself, heat treat and sell to other goat folks. From 12 to 24 hours I freeze this raw for other species of animals. From 24 hours until they are in milk I heat treat this in a big pot and use it after my kids have recieved their colostrum (transitional milk) it's higher in calories, fat, still has that laxitive effect colostrum does but just doesn't have the high quality colostrum they need.

I make sure all kids get a 20 ounce bottle of colostrum before they are 12 hours old, if they don't they are tubed. Most of my kids drink their 20 ounce bottle in the first two feedings then go right on to whole milk or if they are born later they go on transitional milk. Vicki

6. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Thanks Vickie,
    I put that in my notebook.
    Anita

7. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

I feed colostrum from yearlings to the meat bucks....nothing I am going to keep/sell for breeding. I suppose I could just feed it to them raw -- but since I am paranoid, I heat treat everything.

Tracy

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I want to clarify here that I've never fed all cow colostrum, or all that powdered stuff. My babies all get goat colostrum. I've just used that other stuff on rare occasions to supplement the dam's colostrum. I freeze colostrum and use that first if I need to supplement. In fact, I haven't bought frozen cow colostrum for years. I agree with folks here that goat colostrum is the best food for newborns. Kathie

9. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

The little things like this are great for us new folks.

Thanks Vicki!