No nubian kids.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Jan 15, 2008.

1. I just want to cry...and scream.

I got a buck, who I liked very much. Still do. He is out of Jesta Farm Show Time Cedric and RW Dess-a-belle. Well for some reason he's not breeding my does, whether its something wrong with him or just really slow at maturing. (I am having the vet check him to see.)

But he's my only nubian buck. The one my 3 girls were going to be bred to. Obviously they aren't getting bred to him. I cant afford breeding/boarding fees at the moment. (My mare screwed everything up by getting hurt Dec. 30th.)

His previous owner is really nice and we worked something out for Hannah, if she comes back in heat... I either missed it or she is pregnant by my pygmy buck.

So I wont have any purebred nubian babies this year. What am I gonna do with out floppy eared babies bouncing around the barn!?!?!?!?!? I'm not even going to bother with breeding the other two to the pygmy. I dont really want kinder kids. My main purpose was to get them milking for the shows, but by now I only have one show left so there's really no point in going through all the hassle of breeding them, them kidding, milking them, feeding the kids until i can get rid of them, just to show at one show.

On a happier note, the two pygmys that I didnt think were pregnant are, and they are getting an udder. They are due sometime this month, with Feb. 6th being the last possible due date. They ran with the buck...

So I wont be completely kidless this year. And I am being kept busy by my new pygmy herd sire that I got on saturday, he's 8 weeks old and on the bottle.

SIGHS... :sniffle Oh well there's always next year.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

HEY you have all summer and fall for shows. Keeping those does dry is not a good idea in my opinion.

3. I had 3 shows planned, One in june one in july and one in Aug. 2 of them we wont make it to because the does would kid out too late.

4. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

I learned the hard way be leaving an Alpine doe I had open one year because all I had to breed her to was a Nubian Buck. By the way she accidently got bred the next year to that Nubian buck and gave me the best experimental ever! What a milker. But to get back to leaving a doe open. I won't ever do that again. It messed her up when she finally got bred th next year. She hardly gave any ;milke when the year before she was a gallon a day. So now, even if I have to breed to somethin I don't want, oh well, I won't ever leave a doe open again on purpose.

That is why all my Alpines this year are bred to my Nubian buck. My friend that had a nice Alpine buck that I used last year moved to Missouri, and I wasn't able to purchase an Alpine buck this year that I liked, So I'll have some full blood Nubians, and some Nubian/Alpines. Right now for me I am not able to show very much, so if they put lots of milk in the pail I will be happy. And my very best doe who almost beat out a fullblood Alpine one year at the Amarillo show for best doe in show, is Alpine/Nubian . She has those funny Airplaine ears, and I just love her to death. She gives me gorgeous doelings. I've always bred her to Nubian, and was hoping to try an Alpine breeding this year. That's just my 2 cents worth, you can always sell the babies somewhere if you don't want them, or make good sausage. :soap

Sheryl

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You will regret this. Letting does go barren sets them up for breeding difficulties for years to come. If you don't want to raise kids, than let her nurse them and just empty the udder when she needs it, then butcher or sell the kids and dry her up. But not being used, she is a dairy goat, not a meat goat :) She will have bacteria in her udder living for 2 years? Vicki

6. So drying her up after 3mos of milking wont cause any problems with keeping her in milk in the future?

7. Melissa

Melissa New Member

is this her first breeding? if so, than her lactation length MIGHT be somewhat harder to keep going. if not, she should be used to milking for that given time.

-Melissa

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Her kids would nurse considerably longer than 3 months given the chance, this would give you time to breed her to a Nubian buck and get her into a normal length lactation. Keeping her barren is the real problem here. Vicki

9. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

won't someone close by with nubian bucks help you? I know tons of Nubian breeders in Indiana. If pygmy is your only choice, and you haven't ever raised a bottle kid before, wouldn't it be great to Practise on a less $$ kid so you feel more confident with the kidding process, and kid raising for next year? It seems everyone has a learning curve in goats. If you were going to show in Van wert they have the sept Labor day show every year, just like the every year june fathers day. also up here by me the ohio show in July Montpeliar? ohio I think.

10. Ashley

Ashley New Member

My doe nursed until she was about 10 months. And I still had to do the weaning!

11. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I had two LaMancha FF that I had to dry up at 4 months fresh in 2006 because of family matters (my daughter had a baby and i needed to leave the farm). Anyway, this year was those 2 does second freshening and I milked them for 9 months. Even though I was just milking them once a day by 9 months, they did not want to dry up. So for, my goats, it did not seem to hurt them by drying them up early as first fresheners. Granted, had they been on test or something it may have made a differnce, but it didn't make a difference on my farm.

12. I'll try to answer questions in order.

Melissa- Yes Delilah would be a first timer and Georgia to but I am not breeding her at all until fall. She's too small in my opinion.

SherrieC-
    I cant afford breeding/boarding fees. That is why they aren't be bred to nubians. I have raised kids before. Both on the bottle, dam raised, and on CAE prevention. :) I am not doing out of state shows either. If I had another buck I'd breed the girls but I dont want kinder kids. I wouldn't mind crossing the girls on a Saanen or Ober but I dont have one so.

If Hannah comes back in heat she's being bred to a nubian his owner and I worked something out but I cant get Delilah bred to him b/c that is her sire.

I would LOVE to get Delilah bred to Saada Bearly Bruin. He's a few hours from us but unfortunately that went down the drain the night my mare got hurt.

This has been a bad Fall/Winter. I sure hope Spring and Summer are better.

So the problem isn't get them bred, its affording to get them bred. I had everything planned out...the mare changed my plans. :sniffle

13. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

It's quite possible you could just sell the kinder kids. You don't need to keep them. I know there are are kinders out in California already. :D

14. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

By Help you I meant work something out without $$ changing hands. : )