No longer lurking...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jimandpj, Mar 18, 2008.

1. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Hi! I've been lurking on this site since it opened, but finally took the time to get registered.

I've had dairy goats for 3 years. I got mixed up with a very dishonest breeder for my first goats and got off to a terrible start. But I've spent the past couple of years experimenting and figuring out what I need and what works best for me. So a couple of weeks ago, I bit the bullet and sold ALL of my goats. That was not easy, as I finally had some nice goats that I was very happy with (but it was the right decision).

I am starting over with a small, registered, clean alpine herd. I have 3 (possibly 4) does picked out and am just waiting for them to freshen (end of March/beginning of April) until I bring them home. I will be learning to AI this fall, so I will not be keeping a buck (which is good as I only have 3 acres and close neighbors). I have a friend who has a high quality alpine buck if I need live service.

I have 8 children and use the milk for home use. Showing may be sometime in the future, but not until the children are somewhat older. We drink our milk raw, and I also make cheese and soap.

It's nice to finally be an official member!
    PJ

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Welcome PJ! I am so glad you stopped lurking :D Too bad about your bad start but it sounds like you did everything it takes to get on the right track.

Christy
    :welcome

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

That took a lot of courage to sell your goats and start over. I applaude you. Glad you could say hello too. Nice to have you. I too have Alpines. They are great.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hi and WELCOME!! hope you chime in on the cheese forum also.

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I sincerely hope you get started back in the right way.......8 youngin's to feed ......yea, you gonna fit in like a glove around here.

Wecome to DGI, Whim

6. Whitney

Whitney New Member

7. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

:welcome and let your fun begin !! :biggrin

8. Terry

Terry New Member

Hello and welcome.

9. buckrun

buckrun New Member

That is the cutest introduction ever.
    And kudos on your great decision making.
    But 8 kids AND goats- gosh-can I get an energy transfusion from you?
    Lee

10. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

11. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Hi PJ and welcome to the forum. I have a small herd of Alpines in Texas. Just absolutely love them.

12. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Welcome PJ! I've thought of starting all over here but my farm manager (dd-22) won't let me. LOL I suppose she's right but we are working to improve things within our limits.

Kalne

13. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome,

Kalne - it was really difficult - my dd age 11, spent 2 weeks crying daily. I finally lowered my prices, just because I had to get it finished for her sake. When I lowered the prices, they all sold within 2 days. I still got the money to fund my new herd - which was my main goal, anyway. Since they've been gone - she hasn't cried once! :D

Buckrun - I think giving away an energy infusion might actually kill me! :D

Glad to hear so many people love their alpines!
    PJ