Newly freshened doe question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravens Haven, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Hi all,

I had a doe freshen on 2/04/08, she has a very large udder but very little milk, she had a nice quantity of colostrum but the amoung of udder tissue bothers me, she has two babies on her and they were acting very unhappy with her this morning, the tissue is not hot or very hard but there is lots of it. She is negative CAE, should I give her time or what can I do, remember I have the dang flu.

Thanks
    Autumn

2. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Is the udder congested? When you press your thumb on the udder does it leave an imprint like edema? Have you checked to see if the milk looks and smells normal? Has there been any history of mastitis?

You might consider giving the kids a bottle of whole cows milk until the doe's milk comes down or the situation changes.

3. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

No impression when pressed, no mastitis history at all in this dam line or her, milk smells and looks fine. It very well maybe congested, never dealt with congestion so I really don't know what to look for.

Thanks
    Autumn

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Have you tried warm compresses and massaging her udder. I had to do this with 1 of my older does this year. It helped...