Newby Milk question...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiaBella Farm, Jul 30, 2008.

1. MiaBella Farm

MiaBella Farm New Member

Here you go...another newby question! :blush

So, when you milk your does and you are going to strain it for human consumption...for the kid's cereal, of course...what do you use to strain the milk? I am sure there is a very easy answer, just want to see what the consensus is :help2

Michelle

2. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

3. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

I use a Bounty paper towel over a funnel. Works good for me.

Vicki in NC

4. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

5. MiaBella Farm

MiaBella Farm New Member

Those stainless steel strainers look like they will let too much hair through...maybe the panty hose are the best bet! Or a combination of the two???

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Pantyhose and Bounty?

No way. :) I use individual disc filters (new one each milking) and a stainless steel strainer. The filters are so cheap. Why would you use anything else?

Sara

7. MiaBella Farm

MiaBella Farm New Member

Thanks Sara!

I assume you can buy the disc filters at the same place as the stainless steel strainer...I'll put the old man on shopping for that! :lol

Michelle

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Actually I can get the disc filters locally so I don't have to pay shipping. :)

Sara

9. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Yes they sell everything at Hoegger.
    http://www.hoeggergoatsupply.com/xcart/home.php?cat=17

Well if I buy them off Jeffers I can get free shipping if I buy enough crap at once. Will need to check the local places.

I am sure Vicki will let us know where she gets all her stuff.

10. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

I do the same as Sara. I have in a pinch used bounty towel and coffee filters, talk about slow :tapfoot

11. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

interesting thread .... husband and wife communicating through the internet... :rofl

12. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

FWIW.. I like the "shiny" one on Hoeggers.. (your first choice Troy) Put a disc filter in it, put that contraption in your pail and strain as you milk! :) that way, if a hair falls in (God forbid!) it won't be floating around in the milk the whole time until you get it strained.. and if a doe puts her foot in the pail, it's cheaper to rinse the strainer off & put a new disc in it than throw away all that precious milk.. :biggrin

Are you two typing in separate rooms or right next to each other? :rofl

13. MiaBella Farm

MiaBella Farm New Member

LOL...we have instant message at work as well, AND we work for the same company :D

Some people say we are INSANE! But, we like it this way...we sort of love each other :yes

14. MiaBella Farm

MiaBella Farm New Member

nope, we are in separate buildings...
    Michelle

15. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

That would be really odd to be sitting next to each other communicating through IM and forums! Wait what am I saying....my best friend from college and I used to do that all the time in Ag Eco! Hated that class...we had more fun IMing each other back and forth (and we sat right next to each other) and other kids in class!

I have sent my hubby messages on his myspace (that he didn't set up...long story) with him right next to me, messing with the battery charger for his hand tools (yes that is in my office on my desk!)

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I will let Sara answer this one :) I use a funnel and discs made out of aluminum that my husband stamped out for me, they are super fine mesh. Once in the white buckets I carry milk in that you two saw, if it was for house milk or for sale, it would have had frozen water bottles in it to chill it, then to the house and into the sink where I put 8, 1/2 gallon milk jugs, I put on my green snappy funnel, with the disc in it, and pour...date, freeze.

There is also strainers you can put onto your milking machine which is what I am going to try next. I do strain but in reality there is very little to strain when you machine milk clean teats and don't let your milk set around in the barn. With your setup you can bottle you milk right there and put in the fridge or freezer. Vicki

17. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

She asks you all questions when she does not think I know the answer. :help

Nah she is smart to ask you all considering I know very little. Learning just like all of us. Some of us more than others.

She is in a different building, but on the same campus. We enjoy carpooling and having lunch together. We make our co-workers sick.

18. MiaBella Farm

MiaBella Farm New Member

That was what I was hoping to do, milk, strain, bottle, freeze all in the barn. Thanks Vicki :)

19. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

We use the 6 1/2" round filters in 100 ct boxes from tractor supply co (sometimes they have to order them, as they are out of stock). We put it in a funnel (stainless steel) and filter it into a 1/2 gallon picture. We then pour it from the picture into 1/2 gallon jugs (the same kind from the store-we buy brand new). You can also get the same kind of filters from several online stores. We only order from the online stores when we are buying something else at the same time. If not, we go to TC supply. We always order several boxes at a time.

Tara

20. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

We use a stainless steel strainer with coffee filters.
    Clay