newborn feedin problem...suggestions??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by doodles, May 13, 2008.

1. doodles

doodles Member

I have a doe kid that i delivered last night. She had a very quick birth and I was right there ( not premie). She ate 2- 16 ounce bottle last night with gusto. She slept with my daughter and got up running around. Everything seems fine but she has not taken even 2 ounces all day. She runs around fine...has pooped and seems good but WILL NOT nurse the bottle and I refuse to tube a healthy normal kid that I know has eaten . I gave here 1/2 cc of bose tonight . She is a normal 7-8 lb Alpine. Suggestions? How long can she go ?
    Angie

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

25 hours :) Although I did subq her some fluids. I would give her a suppository just to be safe, and wait her out. 2, 16 ounces bottles could have just topped her out, would be alot of poop with that much in her. Also probiotics. Vicki

3. doodles

doodles Member

still no luck and she is seeming dehydrated. This is just crazy. She has pooed enough for 3 babies.She does seem a bit stressed now. What could this be? Should I give a bit of Banamine?
    Angie

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

make sure she is not stopped up now and still pooping and some just stop nursing like they all of a sudden became dumb. I just keep force feeding a couple oz at a time. or else you will have to tube her. If she seems in stress then yes a tad of banamin. But make sure of the pooping now and give her an enema if in doubt. That much colostrum that soon would make me think either she is stuffed or now constipated.

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Wow, was that 2-16 oz bottles, like in a row? or was that spaced out thru the night? I've had a buckling come close to 8oz in one sitting, but 32?
    Have you seen her pee?
    :yeahthat

6. Truly

Truly New Member

Angie, how is she doing now?

7. doodles

doodles Member

Not two bottles at once LOL!! She ate them throughout the evening. She is doing better today but had very loose stool all night. I force fed her about an ounce or two every couple of hours and gave her a tiny bit of corn syrup for blood sugar. I also gave cd antitoxin orally in case she had a problem there. A 1/4 cc of Biomycin too. She is doing much better today but only eats about 4 ounces at a time. She reminds me of a dumb calf. I did give 1/2 cc bose because of tongue rolling.
    Angie