Newbie to cheese - Help me get started!

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by kidsngarden, Jul 1, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

What should I make first? I have no press...

Well I don't have anything really but goat milk! Where do I get rennet? what is lipase?

Ask me about soap and I can tell you something, but I'm totally lost when it comes to cheese!

Thanks!

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Fromage Blanc. It's a wonderful soft cheese, super easy to make and delicious! The recipe is in the sticky.

If you PM me your addresss, I'll send you a culture packet. :)

Sara

3. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

4. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

5. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I have found that Feta is also super easy, of course Fromage blanc is the classic first timers cheese. If you need any help or have questions, there are plenty of us to help....if you want to get started with out waiting for dried cultures, just go out and get some buttermilk.

Good luck,
    Paula

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

:yeahthat

If you decide to make feta use Christy's recipe. It is BY FAR the BEST feta I have ever tasted. :)

Sara

7. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Oh, feta, I love Feta. I especially love to bring it in salads to my in laws so I can watch my MIL be a big baby about how much she hates it :biggrin I'm a child, I know!

Sara's sending me cultures so if I'm not THAT patient (and I really am very impatient) how do I do it with buttermilk?

8. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I actually use cultures for my feta and you will also need Lipase powder, I use buttermilk in my fromage blanc. 1/4C Buttermilk will work a gallon of milk.

Paula

9. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

What kind of basic equipment do I need? Is the milk heated on a double boiler? Mine only holds 2 quarts...

I was also intrigued about using nettle in place of rennet...I have A LOT of nettle around here! Do you use just the leaves or the leaves and the stems?

Thanks!

10. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Using Nettles is very unpredictable, I reccomend that you start with real rennet first :D

I use a stock pot in a sink filled with hot water. Keep a kettle on the stove to increase the heat as needed.

Christy

11. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Do you need a lid on the pot? can it be enameled or does it have to be stainless?

12. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Yes, you need a lid to help hold the temp. Enamel is fine, any nonreactive pot will work.

Christy

13. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Bethany,

I sent your cultures today. With any luck you'll be making Fromage Blanc this weekend. :)

Enjoy!

Sara

14. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Woohoo! :woohoo
    Thanks Sara!

15. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

I got the kit from hoeggers to start with. It had a little bit of everything and once I had more of an idea of what i wanted to make more of I ordered more of that particular thing...

16. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I just ordered the kit from hoeggers ...I cannot wait to play . I am waiting on 6 goats to freshen ..then maybe I will have extra milk.

Patty

17. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I got the cultures today Sara! Now I need to get started. so all milk must be pasturized before making cheese? so you pasturize it cool it then reheat it or what? If I want to freeze it for cheesemaking later do I pasturize first?

18. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Wonderful Bethany! :)

I make and like raw milk cheese.

Sara

19. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

:yeahthat

Raw only for me, same as Sara.

Christy

20. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Ok. That makes it all easier for me since we drink raw milk...So I just heat and hold at 86 degrees right? What if it's frozen...do I leave it on the counter to defrost or when it's slushy can I heat it to 86 degrees and hold it?