newbie question??????

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Don, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Don

Don Guest

I plan to get dairy goats, for the first time, in the near future and need to know what books to get and what kinds of equipment I will need (e.g. s/s buckets strip cup,etc.), Thank You. :help

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hi and Welcome to the forum Hope you enjoy!!

Don. I am one who has had goats for right at 10 yrs now and have never bought a book but if I were to buy one it would be Goat Medicine. What I do is copy and paste everything pertinent to my word pad , print it out and have a binder with everything in it from this web site. I have followed Vicki and Kaye everywhere and have relied on them for info. There is a wealth of information in Goat 101 on everything from building pvc feeders to what meds and doses there.
    To answer as far as milking goes , believe you have pretty well said it above.
    SS bucket for milking
    SS strainer
    strip cup or throw away paper cups
    teat dip and container or sprayer
    clorahexiderm
    clorox

above for starters that I can think of right off

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Glad you found us.

Also Troy and his wife just joined us and he has several posts this last month on what he is purchasing, milking machine, his barn (he even has his blueprints up for you to see)..will you be hand or machine milking? Will you be trying to go grade A eventually or is this just for house milk? How many goats do you want to be milking to start and eventually? Vicki

4. Don

Don Guest

Vicki....to answer some of your questions...I will be hand milking and for now it will just be for "house" milk, not grade A and how many goats I plan to milk,since this is my first try, I really don't know, but prolly 2-4.....Thank You, Don

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Facility: For something small, get a copy of Readers Digest's old Back to Basic's, their dairy barn idea is wonderful for milking a small handful of goats.

Milk stand (Sidell)
    Milk pail, strainer and milk filters (Hoegger)

Jeffers:

Teat dip, sprayer or teat dip cup, CMT (California Mastitis Test and ask us how to use it)

And a medicine list that also includes a weigh tape etc...you can search for this list.

Reading here for at least a month before you purchase anything and then asking us here if we know who you are purchasing from. Purchasing from only tested negative for CAE and herds free of CL and not purchasing until you know what these two things are :) Purchasing from someone who doesn't do whacko things like switch between wormers monthly, worm monthly, or who doesn't disbud kids. There is soo much more money in the resale of good registered kids, starting a facility, milking, testing your goats and then selling for $125 your kids is simply not worth the effort at times.

Don please go into your profile and fill out your signature with your area you live in. Vicki

6. Rose

Rose New Member